2Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thumbs down CO2 Frustrations...

I have a premium aquatek regulator on a 5# tank diffusing into a 75 gallon tank via a ceramic diffuser. I'm starting to get really frustrated with the whole set up. I just got the tank filled a month ago (psi reaches about 1000 when full). I try to run my working pressure at 60 psi and ~6 bbs going into the tank. I bought a new bubble counter and fixed all the leaks in the system, thought everything was doing well.

Then today happened ha. My tank pressure was about 800 psi two days ago. Now today, my working pressure was up to 90 psi and my tank has dropped to 250 psi.... WHYYYYY ugh ha.

75g Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forest's Edge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm assuming you've done the homebrewing tricks here of using soapy water to try to find a possible leak somewhere along the line? When I was doing homebrew years ago, I dumped a couple tanks until I figured out what fitting wasn't quite airtight, and it can be a pain to find.

Although the working PSI shooting up like that is a bit weird. That almost makes me think something is wrong with the regulator itself, since I've never seen a tank dump and raise the working pressure at the same time like that.

EDIT: That is, unless something along the run isn't really happy with 60PSI as the working pressure? I'm not too familiar with aquarium use, and 30-40PSI was more than enough for anything I tired (including a few homebrew sodas).

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
When you detach the tank, check to see if thereís an o-ring inside the regulator where it fastens to the tank. If so, flip that over and reconnect and see what you get. If all levels go to normal, lower working pressure to 30psi and adjust to desired bubble count and monitor it for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There is an often reported thing called End Of Tank Dump (EOTD?) which I have not had but it is often spoken of on here. When the tank begins to go down, some regs will lose their ability to regulate the output pressure. Sounds weird but they use a spring and the tank pressure to "balance" the output and it is reported that as the tank begins to "dump", the output does go high! This is one reported advantage of dual stage regs as the first one hands off a changing pressure but the second stage corrects that before handing to the output.
I might question how long a 5 pound will last on a 75 tank but I would suggest this,
The tank should have a tare weight stamped on it. Weight the tank, subtract the tare weight to find how much liquid CO2 is in the tank. Your tank may be almost gone and you are seeing EOTD?
Of course a soap test is almost a requirement to avoid losing a tank of gas through a leak. Some say it takes too much time but I find it is a whole lot quicker than having to go get the tank filled every time I leave a leak.
Joshism and Joshism like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Welp, I think it's an EOTD issue. Had it refilled, bought all new orings, leak tested 100% good to go, passes the soap test and everything. Then today, same thing, checked on the tank pressure and it was zero... Pressure before was around 800 psi. Guess I'll just be glad my fish are all ok.

Is a dual stage regulator really necessary? I feel like most members aren't using one. Maybe a better quality regulator would solve this issues. Looking into GLA now.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I have the same regulator and I let it run completely out and never, ever got an EOTD. It does not even sound like EOTD which pretty much never happens. How long is each fill lasting on your 75G.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Gone through 4 since June, so about 1.5 months

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
Gone through 4 since June, so about 1.5 months
O.K. that's not EOTD. I think you have a leak somewhere. EOTD is when the cylinder's almost empty and the pressure drops and it dumps the tank. END of tank dump.

I'd recheck everything. One 5lb on a 75G should be lasting between 3-6 months depending on setup.
ILikeRice and ILikeRice like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

If it's dumping at the same PSI every time though... unless the pressure is sealing the leak until a certain point.
Hard to recheck everything now that there's no pressure in the tank.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then today happened ha. My tank pressure was about 800 psi two days ago. Now today, my working pressure was up to 90 psi and my tank has dropped to 250 psi.... WHYYYYY ugh ha.
If your working pressure is increasing then you are seeing end of tank dump. All single stage regulators have this issue (some more than others). The best way to resolve this is to use a two stage regulator. The first stage regulator is adjusted to slightly above your working pressure. The second to your working pressure. You can buy regulators that have the 1st and 2nd stages built into one body.

The only other options you have are to:
1. Adjust the regulator output every day.
2. Get a larger tank so that the internal pressure drops more slowly.
3. I would verify that they are completely filling your CO2 tank. The only way to do this is by measuring the weight of the CO2 added (tar weight as measured earlier). The tank pressure will not tell you if the tank if full. Only the weight can.
4. take the entire tank and put it under water. That would check the entire assembly for leaks even in the hardest to reach places.

Last edited by Surf; 12-10-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: formating
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Found the leak... After hooking up a new tank, I soaped every thing and I found my check valve was leaking at its seam/weld. Must have popped apart, cheap thing. Any recommendations on a good check valve? They all seem to be plastic.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
CO2 Regulator Parts | CO2 For Planted Tanks And Home Brewing. 1/8" NPT Ports Check Valve

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 AM
Suspended

another CO2 can of worms.................

BUT..
1/4" Polypropylene Standard Check Valve with Viton? Diaphragm | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Just get the right size...
These are recommended by a bunch of people..

I've used at least a dozen w/ no problems..
do recommend 2 per cylinder though..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
75 gallon, aquatek, co2, co2 tank, diffuser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode