Eheim 2260 noise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eheim 2260 noise

Hello, I just got a new Eheim Classic 2260 the other day, and it's humming really loudly. I can hear it from across the room and it's making it near impossible to sleep since the aquarium is in my bedroom. The sound is a steady hum, and it sounds "right", but just so loud. I thought these filters were supposed to be silent :S There doesn't seem to be any air trapped either, and putting a towel underneath the filter had next to no effect. Any ideas what the problem might be and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Congrats on the new purchase!!!

First, check to see if any of the hoses are touching the cabinet or other hard surfaces.
If that doesn't fix the hum, slightly loosen the screws that attach the pump's mounting plate to the 'stand' on the filter lid. This usually fixes the hum.

If you are using the included domed cover that comes with the filter, try removing that also.

If none of my solutions fixed the problem, I've seen recommendations of using thin gel pads between the pump mounting plate and the 'stand' on the filter lid. Choosing this option requires turning the filter off, removing the 4 screws that attach the pump to the 'stand' and fitting the gel pads.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure it's the motor/impeller itself that's the issue. When submerging the motor in water separately, it still made the same humming noise. I measured it at around 50db. Is this normal you think? :S The hoses ans screws made no difference. I can try the gel pads, but need to get them first.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

That does not sound right re: the decibel level.

I would open the pump to check the impeller, shaft and if the 2 rubber bushings are seated properly. The impeller should be one piece (vanes and magnet), the ceramic shaft should be one piece and the bushings may either come out on the ends of the shaft or be in place in the bottom of the impeller housing and in the pump cover.

It's always possible you have a defective pump and would need to contact the seller of the filter or Eheim for a replacement.

Just to verify, check the pump to see the label and post the info showing voltage, hertz and watts. I'm curious if the problem is related to your location vs. pump specs. Are you in the U.S.?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Volt: 230 Hz: 50 Watt: 65

I'm in Norway actually. The impeller itself seems fine, it's weird. According to the seller, the noise is normal. What do you think about putting the motor itself into the tank with the canister on the outside? Perhaps that could minimize the vibrations?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for that info!

I find it hard to believe that decibel level would be normal even with the difference in volt and Hz from that in the U.S.

Is the seller a private party or a vendor such as a fish store? If a vendor, I would ask to swap the pump for you or at least do a side by side comparison between your pump and a brand new one.

I would not put the pump itself in the tank for a couple reasons. One, the noise may affect the fish and two, the pump may actually be a defective unit that may cause problems.

Another option would be to contact Eheim directly though some people report poor communication from them.

You can also try posting a video with audio of the pump in operation as it may be helpful to others that may have had a similar issue.

Did you compare your impeller parts to brand new pics of the parts?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The seller is a vendor from a store. I actually sent Eheim a mail, and got this response:

"Hello Lykke,

the 2260 Classic Filter is a power pack. It is very important that the hoses are not touch the furniture and you fill the filter over the aquarium. Do not fill the canister in advance! In the first 3-4 weeks take care upon the hoses because the plasticizer washed out. Also the filter need a short time to run in.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Yours faithfully

Ihr EHEIM Service Team"

The noise has gone down from 50 to 40db since last time, so that's good. The problem isn't as much the noise as it is the vibrations. I can actually feel the vibrations throught my pillow, making it near impossible to sleep. The impeller seemed fine compared to the manual images, but I'm gonna take a look at it again to make sure nothing is wrong. Do you think an isolated cabinet could help isolate the vibrations?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyyy View Post
Volt: 230 Hz: 50 Watt: 65
According to the seller, the noise is normal.
and what do you think a seller will say? (sorry bit pessimistic)

If you are actually getting 40dB @ 1M I suspect you have some issue..

Trying to find some internet "testing" on this model but many Ehiems seem to be in the 19-20dB range
i.e:
EHEIM 2080 PROFESSIONAL
Quote:
NOISE
Both filters are quiet by modern standards but the Fluval is a lot noiser then the Eheim measuring out at 43db @ 1 meter vs the Eheims 19db !
The Fluval is quiet but the Eheim is so quiet you have to check it see if its working !
Canister filter questions

NOTE though:
Quote:
i have the Eheim 2260 running now, it is just sat in the middle of the floor until i can workout how to get it into the stand.
I have noticed that it seems to make a lot of noise compared to my 2080, which is also outside my stand.
EHEIM will know what to expect..
Tell them their answer did not specifically address your question..
What is the dB level expected of a 2260..

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-29-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post

EHEIM will know what to expect..
Tell them their answer did not specifically address your question..
What is the dB level expected of a 2260..
I agree with this but more specifically ask this question...
What is the decibel level of the 1260 pump at Volt: 230 Hz: 50 Watt: 65 since that is the pump unit on your 2260 filter model.

I think a separate cabinet would just amplify the sound. You may want to try a yoga mat or similar low density foam to help reduce the vibrations compared to just using a towel.

Can you also post a couple pics of how the filter is installed just in case we see something unusual? Try and show some different angles if you can, especially if the filter is underneath the tank.

If you could take a video with sound it may also help narrow down the problem.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I sent another message to Eheim asking again. But I made some progress! Putting a towel around the motor, and a foamy thing (not sure what it's called in english) underneath the canister, it got the decibel down to 30. It also eliminated the vibrations through the floor and bed! I think I may be able to live with this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice to hear it's a bit quieter but I still think something is wrong. Hopefully you'll get the answer from Eheim!

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Weeeellll.... Eheim answered me, with asking me to send the filter to Sweden, avoiding my question. So I sent another message, telling them that they STILL didn't answer my question. This was the response:

"Hello Lykke,

we do not tell any db level upon our filters because the feeling from human to human is different. The pump have the normal 50Hz humming. The most important thing is, that you have no air trapped."

I honestly don't know what to say. I think I'll just live with the filter for now. Might swap the pump later if it proves to be ineffective at cleaning the water. Got a pretty big bacterial bloom right now, but I'm sure it'll clear up.

Also, thanks for you guys' help and advice =)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the update and I find it unbelievable that Eheim doesn't rate the dB level of their pumps! I also think their request for sending the filter and not the pump is just BS.

I'll see if I can find any online videos of the pump to hear the noise level or see if anyone has determined the actual dB level of a 50Hz pump.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode