The Planted Tank Forum banner

Allay my rimless fears...(or don't)

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  mott 
#1 ·
So I just finished leak checking my first rimless tank (no issues) and I'm currently staring at this thing in total fear.

Specs:
Brand: Aquamaxx (new)
Size: 24.1g (17.8x17.8x17.8)
Glass Thickness: 6mm

Pros (I think):
1. I shimmed my stand to be almost perfectly level, 1mm or less both ways.
2. Looks like the bowing is pretty minimal, 1mm-2mm only each pane.
3. The glass thickness is good. Ada has the same tank (45-c) and it uses the same thickness. The Mr. Aqua version of my tank uses 5mm glass and it's a pretty popular reefer tank.
4. I have a mat.

Cons:
1. I have a 2 and 4 year old that slap my tanks from time to time, not super hard though.
2. I have hardwood floors.
3. I can be hard on my tanks and am not a gentle man.

Any advice, tips, dos' and don't, or just words of l encouragement would be very much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't heard about rimless tanks exploding, im sure we would hear about it if it did happen. I would just refrain from yanking a pane of glass, those tanks are built to hold back almost 250 lbs of water, I dont feel that there is a huge risk from someone slapping the tank, especially if they are only 2 and 4. I have wood floors in my room with my tank as well, and the only tip I have is towels, lots of em. I always have 5 or 6 towels for when I do stupid stuff like forget my tank is filling and spill water onto the floor.

#11 ·
There is absolutely no reason to fear a rimless tank. Guys, it's pure physics, tanks are carefully designed with the right glass thickness. The only problem is YOU can touch the edge (with rimmed tank it's hidden), BUT worst case scenario you will have a little chip and you would really have to smack it hard with something to get this chip.

Here in Europe we're using rimless tanks for years (just most of the time we are putting hoods on them) no problems. Rimless tank can live those 20-30 years or even more, only thing that can break is the seal... and it can break on rimmed tank too.

Getting low iron glass changes things a bit, but it has nothing to do with rimless-ness ;-) Low iron glass is a little bit more fragile, scratches easier.

#12 ·
There is absolutely no reason to fear a rimless tank. Guys, it's pure physics, tanks are carefully designed with the right glass thickness. The only problem is YOU can touch the edge (with rimmed tank it's hidden), BUT worst case scenario you will have a little chip and you would really have to smack it hard with something to get this chip.

Like I said it's not the glass itself that freaks me out, it's the silicone seams.

Here in Europe we're using rimless tanks for years (just most of the time we are putting hoods on them) no problems. Rimless tank can live those 20-30 years or even more, only thing that can break is the seal... and it can break on rimmed tank too.

Getting low iron glass changes things a bit, but it has nothing to do with rimless-ness ;-) Low iron glass is a little bit more fragile, scratches easier.
Like I said it's not the glass itself that freaks me out, it's the silicone seams. The glass itself feels thick and I have little bowing. I saw a detailed review of the 120p where the guy showed the amount of bowing and its way more than mine.

#16 ·
Haha...dude. I just spent an hour redoing my entertainment system's cords due to this post. My tank is about a foot away from it and there were like 8 cords into 2 power strips that were on the floor. I don't want fry one of my kids (or maybe I do? haha).

#19 ·
Haha....hilarious dude, I live in NJ. You know I am not touching that thing though!

I agree, I wouldn't reseal a tank either. I don't trust myself and time is tight. I would just buy my tank again. Aren't the 120p's like almost a grand shipped? What about throwing someone a couple hundred to reseal it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.