Cheap fine mech media? - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheap fine mech media?

I have an Eheim 2215 canister filter and I would like to increase the amount of mechanical filtration media. I already have ceramic noodles, coarse pad and a fine pad. I would like the additional media to also be of a "fine" consistency. If anyone has a suggestion that would be great but I would ask that you provide a link to your suggested product. I've seen plenty of "just go buy pillow stuffing from Michael's" but I can think of at least 5 different things to stuff pillows with so that doesn't really help me.

Thank you very much for any suggestions. Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like these although they fit directly in my Fluval fx4 not sure the size you would need but could always cut them. A good price and last a while. Generic Foam Filter Blocks and Polish Pads for Fluval FX4, Fluval FX5 and Fluval FX6 Filters (12-Pack Polishing Pads (Fine)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAZCOMX..._wjdCzb9AX9CGK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've found coconut fibers and pumice rock to be quite effective, and cheap.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
I've found coconut fibers and pumice rock to be quite effective, and cheap.
Really? I've got an entire bag of coconut coir just sitting around because I can't do any "indoor gardening" in my new place. That's worth looking into I'd just have to come up with some sort of bag. Nice.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Coco coir might be a little too fine. I use longer strands of fiber which are commonly used in hanging garden pots.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Planted Member

It's quilt batting so it comes in sheets you can cut into polishing pads that will fit your canister perfectly. At this price I change them out whenever I want to

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Planted Member

It's quilt batting so it comes in sheets you can cut into polishing pads that will fit your canister perfectly. At this price I change them out whenever i want

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
It's quilt batting so it comes in sheets you can cut into polishing pads that will fit your canister perfectly. At this price I change them out whenever i want

don't get the soft or regular loft. they collapse too easily and get matted. go with high or extra high loft. check walmart online.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

I buy bulk fiber floss by the 10lb box online. It's about $12, shipped. 10lbs is a *lot* of floss - lasts me about 9 months filling three mesh filter socks with it on a 125. I replace the floss a couple of times a week. Like I said, lots of floss.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
I buy bulk fiber floss by the 10lb box online. It's about $12, shipped. 10lbs is a *lot* of floss - lasts me about 9 months filling three mesh filter socks with it on a 125. I replace the floss a couple of times a week. Like I said, lots of floss.
You replace the floss a couple of times a week?? Man I'd even be surprised at a couple of times a month.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Planted Member

I change it between water changes

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
I change it between water changes

I must be missing something. This is my first tank, 30 gallon fully planted. I've got a sizable bio-load with 8 black ruby barbs, 5 julii corys and 2 honey gouramis. I recently took my Eheim 2215 apart to clean it as it had been 3 months since I started the tank. There wasn't much to clean at all. The ceramic noodles had some gunk on them that I rinsed off easily but my blue, white and carbon pad (removed) didn't have much on them at all.

Why would I need to change floss multiple times a week or even during a weekly(?) water change? I'm sure there is a reason I just don't know what it is. Thank you @splattered, @milesm and @Jaye for the additional information.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
I must be missing something. This is my first tank, 30 gallon fully planted. I've got a sizable bio-load with 8 black ruby barbs, 5 julii corys and 2 honey gouramis. I recently took my Eheim 2215 apart to clean it as it had been 3 months since I started the tank. There wasn't much to clean at all. The ceramic noodles had some gunk on them that I rinsed off easily but my blue, white and carbon pad (removed) didn't have much on them at all.

Why would I need to change floss multiple times a week or even during a weekly(?) water change? I'm sure there is a reason I just don't know what it is. Thank you @splattered, @milesm and @Jaye for the additional information.

It clogs very easily and fast. I normally do not have to clean my regular pads in my Fluval filter that often but regardless the fine filter pads catch a ton of stuff and clog very fast and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
It clogs very easily and fast. I normally do not have to clean my regular pads in my Fluval filter that often but regardless the fine filter pads catch a ton of stuff and clog very fast and easy.
I understand. You are saying that the batting is finer than my white pad and will catch more debris thus need to be changed more often. Makes perfect sense. Thank you sir.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Planted Member

You shouldn't ever really touch anything with bb on it unless it's totally clogged. Mech filtration should be rinsed in tank water as well and the "polishing pad" or in this case the floss fibre is the only thing I ever really "change". Most of the large debris can be dumped out of the bottom of the canister. Also depending on what you use to fertilize you may want to polish the water more often also. It's mostly aesthetic and certainly not necessary. I use an organic product and it can leave things murky for a day or so

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode