• 2 Post By Immortal1
  • 2 Post By larcat
  • 2 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Eheim 2262 media options?

Just bought an Eheim 2262 for a 240 freshwater planted tank. This will be my only filter on it and no sump.

I'm looking for cheap alternatives for media instead of spending a ton of money on Eheim media.

I'm thinking of either
Lava rock
Seachem matrix
Bunch of kitchen pot scrubbies

Any suggestions or experiences with any of these?

If I do pick one of these, should I also add foam and/or floss too?

Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lakehouse; 07-18-2017 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added freshwater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
My best suggestions would be to look into General Pumice products. Did a test here last year titled Matrix without Seachem. Basically determined 3/8" General Pumice stone was the same as Matrix at a significantly reduced price.
As for the mechanical filtration, yes I would recommend having some. Especially if you have an overstocked tank like mine, lol.
Not big on the pot scrubbies only because they take up a lot of canister volume but don't supply the surface density of specific bio media like pumice/matrix/etc.
Lakehouse and Lakehouse like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Any of those will work, is the short version. If you go lava rock, rinse the heck out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehouse View Post
Just bought an Eheim 2262 for a 240 freshwater planted tank. This will be my only filter on it and no sump.

I'm looking for cheap alternatives for media instead of spending a ton of money on Eheim media.

I'm thinking of either
Lava rock
Seachem matrix

Thanks in advance

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
My best suggestions would be to look into General Pumice products. Did a test here last year titled Matrix without Seachem. Basically determined 3/8" General Pumice stone was the same as Matrix at a significantly reduced price.
As for the mechanical filtration, yes I would recommend having some. Especially if you have an overstocked tank like mine, lol.
Not big on the pot scrubbies only because they take up a lot of canister volume but don't supply the surface density of specific bio media like pumice/matrix/etc.
Thanks so much. I'll definitely try out the 3/8 pumice. What do you recommend for mechanical filtration and should it go under the pumice?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If i was you i would go with lava rock or pumice. And for mechinical filteritions use polyester batting.

Bump:
Quote:

I'm thinking of either
Lava rock
Seachem matrix

Thanks in advance
Also, why arent you using the media that comes with it? Its very good.

Bump:
Quote:

I'm thinking of either
Lava rock
Seachem matrix

Thanks in advance

- Adam
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post

The large Eheim 2262 does not come with media

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
The large Eheim 2262 does not come with media
Oh sorry i didnt know that 2262 does not come with media ! I hava a 2211 and it came with media so i thought that the 2262 was suppose to come with media.

- Adam

Last edited by Bogey; 07-20-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: I kinda added 7 of the same sentance :p
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Captain

Typically I put the course mechanical media at the bottom. Then maybe a medium mechanical media above that before you get to the biological media. Finish with the filter floss above the bio media. Part of the above reasoning is to help keep the fine pores of the biological media from filling up with debris (bio media lasts longer that way).

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Another option is to use 5L Eheim Ehfi Mech (barrel shaped) media for the bottom layer and then buy a couple pieces of 20PPI Poret filter foam to use as additional mechanical media. You will need to cut the foam to fit the round canister but it's easy with a sharp, straight blade kitchen knife.

Poly-fil Traditional Batting is a great option to catch finer particles and can usually be rinsed out and reused a few times.

I also use Pond Matrix in my big Eheim filters and put the media in a zippered lingerie bag meant to wash these items in a washing machine.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Another option is to use 5L Eheim Ehfi Mech (barrel shaped) media for the bottom layer and then buy a couple pieces of 20PPI Poret filter foam to use as additional mechanical media. You will need to cut the foam to fit the round canister but it's easy with a sharp, straight blade kitchen knife.

Poly-fil Traditional Batting is a great option to catch finer particles and can usually be rinsed out and reused a few times.

I also use Pond Matrix in my big Eheim filters and put the media in a zippered lingerie bag meant to wash these items in a washing machine.
Great suggestions for this situation

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

You can get the Poret filter foam here. I picked some up recently and I'm very happy with it.
Poret® Foam Shop - SWISSTROPICALS

I also use the poly-fil from Walmart that comes in a big roll. That stuff works great, I just replace it once a year after a number of cleanings.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I ended up buying a 2" thick 10ppi poret foam for the bottom, some 3/8" pumice for the middle and a 2" thick 30ppi poret for the top layer. I'll see how well it works when it arrives and maybe add the poly bating at the very top if needed.
Thanks for all the suggestions

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode