Eheim canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Eheim canister filter

I've been thinking about getting a Eheim 2213 canister filter PLUS.
Is this a good filter? If you have had good experiences with the Eheim 2213 PLUS please share. If you have had any bad experiences please share them too.

Thank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
If by PLUS you are referring to the quick disconnects and media being sold with the filter, then yes I have direct experience with this unit. I have been using one on a 29 gallon heavily planted tank for almost 5 years. Here is a quick synopsis:

Pros: silent, reliable, easy to maintain

Cons: not optimal flow for a 29g, Eheim fine filter pads clog too quickly (i now use bonded pads cut to fit), some assembly required with initial setup (poor instructions included with filter), initial priming.

For me the Cons were a minor inconvenience other than the flow. In hindsight, I would have gotten a 2215 model for this tank. However, for the money spent this filter is a great value since it appears it will last for a very long time.

Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
If you remove the media basket and put in lattice screens you can hold more media in the 2213.

I'd just go wit the 2215... I love mine on my 60-P but wish it had more flow. I think I want to upgrade to the 2217.

Efhipimp # 428!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd also recommend going to the next size up (to the 2215), there's quite a big difference in the flow rate. While you can get away with following the manufacturer's ratings for Eheim canisters (German engineers never lie about their work) it's still a good idea to invest in the larger version.

Of course, unless it really is quite a small tank.

You're really only over-filtering your tank if the flow rate is too high, i.e. your fish look like they're in a washing machine. If you intend to heavily plant the tank, a higher flow rate is desirable. It also helps keep the tank clean, as it will pick up detritus from the substrate without you having to vacuum.

Eheims are European style canisters, so they have a lower flow rate (relative to their large media capacity) than many other brands. This has the advantage that you can get a larger canister, and thus more filtration media, onto a smaller tank. (PTs please correct my reasoning if necessary)

As for review (I've got a 2215,2217 and 2213).

Pros:
-Extremely! quiet
-Hugely popular, which means that when something goes wrong (it eventually will) there's a large community who can give you step-by-step advice. In fact, use this forum. I certainly have.
-Simple. Means usually simple to diagnose problem.
-Won't break. EVER. This justifies the high up-front cost, but only if you're planning to do this for a while...
-Media is excellent.

Cons:
-Instructions are retarded. It's not the language barrier, I read them in German and they're still retarded. (Hint: hook the canister up while EMPTY and then suck on the SPRAY BAR hose for no more than five seconds while all the valves are open).
-Replacement parts are expensive and sometimes difficult to find. (Hint: check eBay international sellers).
-Hoses aren't particularly good quality, they tend to kink if you try and run them over the tank lip without using the proper connector. I use a garden hose for one of mine.
-Remove the fine black filter pad after a week, it just clogs your filter.

One much cheaper alternative is the SUNSUN, white and black canister filter you'll see with any eBay search. The difference in price is so enormous that it may make up for the difference in quality (except perhaps the media). Check out the review on this forum. I know a breeder who has fifty and swears by them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
If you remove the media basket and put in lattice screens you can hold more media in the 2213.
+1. Very quite filter. I got 2213 and Ehiem Ecco 2234.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i was going to put the 2213 on a 10g. that's why i was leaning away from 2215 unless i can control the flow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafuspyramid View Post
Cons:
-Instructions are retarded. It's not the language barrier, I read them in German and they're still retarded.
You just completely made me LOL

[Oh well... so much for my giving them the benefit of the doubt about the language barrier being the issue with their instructions... ]

I think the Eheim 2213 will be a good choice for your tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
You can control the flow on all ehiems if they have quick disconnects, just turn the ball valve on the quick disconnect to slow down the flow.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
You can control the flow on all ehiems if they have quick disconnects, just turn the ball valve on the quick disconnect to slow down the flow.

Do you know if the 2213 has a quick disconnect? I can't find anything on the Ehiem website that says if it does or doesn't.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode