Going to order a custom tank soon, looking for some advice - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Craigthor
  • 2 Post By DaveK
  • 2 Post By Craigthor
  • 2 Post By PlantGate
  • 2 Post By KWaters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going to order a custom tank soon, looking for some advice

I plan on ordering a 36"x24"x24" tank soon, approximately 90 gallons. My wall space only allows for 36" length but I wanted more volume than a standard 40breeder... I have a few options when having the tank built, all of which I'm sure will affect the price.

I think I might do salt again down the road, though not necessarily with this specific tank. However, if I do then now would be the time to order it with holes drilled. I hadn't thought to sump this tank, I already bought an eheim canister, in fact. I suppose I *could* sump this tank but I'm just not sure. If I were to plumb the tank, what are the benefits between plumbing the back wall up top for an overflow vs the bottom for pipes?

I think I'll probably opt for the black silicone and "diamond edging". I'll also probably do a standard black plastic frame as opposed to rimless or eurobraced since I want to do a canopy anyhow.

And finally, I'm wondering if I really should just consider making it 36x36x24... that would certainly make for an interesting feature.

My father's day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A new 120g is coming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
If you have the space go for the 36x36x24. I've currently got a Marineland 93g Cube 30x30x24 setup and really like the layout possibilities. I'd have it drilled though mine isn't I had a custom overflow made to take up little space behind the tank.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Custom tanks are usually very expensive. Consider if you can get away with something like the Marineland 93g Cube such as @Craigthor has. It will likely be a lot less expensive.
Craigthor and Craigthor like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Sorry the picture will upload sideways but here is a sneak peak of the update I just did on my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	753946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2911.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	753954  

awesometim1 and awesometim1 like this.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcook View Post
I plan on ordering a 36"x24"x24" tank soon, approximately 90 gallons. My wall space only allows for 36" length but I wanted more volume than a standard 40breeder... I have a few options when having the tank built, all of which I'm sure will affect the price.

I think I might do salt again down the road, though not necessarily with this specific tank. However, if I do then now would be the time to order it with holes drilled. I hadn't thought to sump this tank, I already bought an eheim canister, in fact. I suppose I *could* sump this tank but I'm just not sure. If I were to plumb the tank, what are the benefits between plumbing the back wall up top for an overflow vs the bottom for pipes?

I think I'll probably opt for the black silicone and "diamond edging". I'll also probably do a standard black plastic frame as opposed to rimless or eurobraced since I want to do a canopy anyhow.

And finally, I'm wondering if I really should just consider making it 36x36x24... that would certainly make for an interesting feature.
I like the sound of those dimensions. Also a fan of the black silicon. By "diamond edging" do you mean the low iron glass like Starfire glass? That would be a good call if it will ever end up a reef tank. I was once skeptical about the low iron glass until I saw a tridacna clam placed in two tanks for comparison. The regular glass filtered out quite a bit of color and iridescence, while the low iron did not.

Just to throw a few ideas out there: You could hold off on drilling the tank until/if you decide to go salt with it. Would just need to make sure the side you'd want drilled isn't made with tempered glass, but drilling it can be done if/when you decide later on.

Also you could go with a 50 or 65breeder instead of a 40 and maybe have two tanks on the same 36x18 stand. One above the other. Or go all out with the custom tank and design the stand to house a 40 or 50 breeder under it. Later the bottom tank can be your sump/refugium, in the meantime two tanks in one footprint!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

I think I'd have it drilled now when they are making it and go with a sump. You will find just to hide equipment they are worth it. I would have it drilled for a coast to coast overflow with 3 downpipes and 2 returns so you can do a "Bean" style overflow. Don't bottom drill it takes up too much space in the tank.
DigityDog70 and DigityDog70 like this.

Current Tank: 125g reef ready with 40 gallon sump. ATI 4x80 watt T5 with 2x Super Flora T5 Giesemann, 1x ATI Purple Plus, 1x ATI AquaBlue Special. GLA CO2 system, Flourite substrate, Digital Aquatics Controller.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Algae Grower

If you're going to bother getting a custom tank built, just go for the biggest size you can. It's not often most people get the resources together to have a custom tank built, and you wouldn't want any regrets. That said, as has been suggested, have you had a thorough look at the available production tanks? It seems feasible to me that you could find a tank to fill that space without having one custom built.

Adapt and overcome.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWaters View Post
That said, as has been suggested, have you had a thorough look at the available production tanks? It seems feasible to me that you could find a tank to fill that space without having one custom built.

I've been looking around at various resources online, glasscages, fishtanksdirect, customaquariums etc. The quote I have from my LFS is 375 for a standard construction tank at 36x24x24, which is cheaper than anything else I've seen online so far. Do you have a suggestion where else I might look?

I decided if I buy it, I'll have it drilled and sump it just in case it becomes a reef down the road. I'd like to avoid CO2 this time around so I don't have to worry about off-gassing...

I'll just return the eheim canister and buy a nice return pump, heaters etc with the money.

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcook View Post
I've been looking around at various resources online, glasscages, fishtanksdirect, customaquariums etc. The quote I have from my LFS is 375 for a standard construction tank at 36x24x24, which is cheaper than anything else I've seen online so far. Do you have a suggestion where else I might look?
I've had a look around and realized that though there are a few tanks priced around/below that in roughly those dimensions, the shipping is going to trash the budget. Sounds like your LFS is the way to go.
forrestcook and forrestcook like this.

Adapt and overcome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode