CO2 reactor for a small tank and limited cabinet space - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post CO2 reactor for a small tank and limited cabinet space

I have a paintball co2 setup on my 20 gallon tank with an inline diffuser. I have decided that I am tired of all the bubbles so its time to go get a CO2 reactor. Does anyone have any recommendations on what CO2 reactor works for them that doesn't take up a ton of space? I don't have much room with a co2 system and a canister filter in the cabinet. I am open to purchasing one or DIY since I typically like building things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you are height limited, a Cerges reactor will probably be your best bet.

I built an 18" x 1.5" Griggs reactor for my 29, and it's great. Not sure how short I could have made it without bubbles flowing into the tank though. If you don't mind lots of trial and error, you can buy a few couplers and try various lengths.

Sent from my Nexus+6 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have the Sera Flore Active CO2 Reactor 500 and absolutely love it. Zero bubbles in the aquarium. 10" H x 4.5" W x 3" D. You can see it right next to the Fluval 206 to get an idea of the size. It comes with a mount with either suction cups(worthless in cabinet) or you can use screws which is what I did. I put the output of the Fluval 206 right behind the output of my Fluval FX4 filter to get the best co2 distribution in all of my 60 gallon aquarium. It works amazing I tell you. As you can see zero bubbles.

Sorry the pics are tilted to the left. Not sure why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	732738  

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	732746  

Name:	IMG_3859.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	732754  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-14-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
If you are height limited, a Cerges reactor will probably be your best bet.

I built an 18" x 1.5" Griggs reactor for my 29, and it's great. Not sure how short I could have made it without bubbles flowing into the tank though. If you don't mind lots of trial and error, you can buy a few couplers and try various lengths.

Thanks this comment just gave me a thought. I already have an inline diffuser in the system so if I keep that and add a reactor I may be able to get away with a shorter length Griggs reactor

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
I have the Sera Flore Active CO2 Reactor 500 and absolutely love it. Zero bubbles in the aquarium. 10" H x 4.5" W x 3" D. You can see it right next to the Fluval 206 to get an idea of the size. It comes with a mount with either suction cups(worthless in cabinet) or you can use screws which is what I did. I put the output of the Fluval 206 right behind the output of my Fluval FX4 filter to get the best co2 distribution in all of my 60 gallon aquarium. It works amazing I tell you. As you can see zero bubbles.

Sorry the pics are tilted to the left. Not sure why.

Thanks those pictures were very helpful. I don't have much space but I do have enough room for one of those.

Bump: Also I would like to point out that the design of the Sera Flore Active CO2 Reactor 500 and a DIY Cerges reactor look like they are very similar.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroghost View Post
Thanks this comment just gave me a thought. I already have an inline diffuser in the system so if I keep that and add a reactor I may be able to get away with a shorter length Griggs reactor

Bump:

Thanks those pictures were very helpful. I don't have much space but I do have enough room for one of those.

Bump: Also I would like to point out that the design of the Sera Flore Active CO2 Reactor 500 and a DIY Cerges reactor look like they are very similar.
Does look similar. But what is sweet about the Sera Flore is it has two spinning blades where the co2 first enters chopping up the co2. Basically it mixes up the co2 with water instead of using a sponge. By the time the co2 and water goes through the bottom pipe in the reactor there is no bubbles at that point, very efficient design in my mind. Also will point out it is very silent. Only if you are right next to it can u hear a very slight trickle. The filters next to it are much louder even though they are very silent as well. Also read the flow can be slowed quite a bit with the Cerges but with the Sera Flore it really does not slow it down at all and the small 206 filter has no problem flowing fully through it. I will make a video later today showing the reactor working. Very low profile, silent, and very efficient. Love it
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A point that is often missed when speaking of the flow restriction of reactors is one we can all see when we think of it. I don't find the rector is at fault when flow is restricted but I blame the fittings. Take a 5/8" tube and add a barb fitting to it and the opening goes down real fast. A fitting that goes inside a 5/8 tube and takes space for the plastic sidewall make get closer to 1/4"?
So when we put a couple fittings, the flow goes down fast.
Look at the end of a barb fitting to see what I mean?

Tags
cabinet, co2, diffuser, diy, reactor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode