Lid advice? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's the one . Easy to cut and modify to any situation or tank . I even use a 3 inch piece for handles .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thanks @Freemananana and that is what I tried. However, the glass panels that came with my tank are too think for the moulding so I will either need to buy new glass or come up with something different.

Tank Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:24 PM
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 For Lexan. It is not bending at all for me and I have some 96 diodes atop the LEXAN, 82 which are white and the other 14 are RGB diodes, approximately 7960 lumens, the LEXAN has zero problems with any heat and the light actually penetrates better through LEXAN than glass. So... you're going to get feedback from people that like both, and there's nothing wrong with either, it's whatever you like. Personally I don't like having a lid but I don't have enough control over what's floating around in the air in my fish room, so I need to use lids. I wish I didn't though. Lids are annoying but a necessity in many locations, especially when you have a family and or other pets.

For handles, I just grabbed some little platic pictures hooks, well not little, but I am able to get my finger on it and slide the LEXAN with my finger using these as a handle. Just pickup a small toothpaste size of clear silicon to attach to the LEXAN. I use a Sabre saw to cut mine and I also have a grinding wheel on my work bend and a dremel workstation. You'll need something software to set the LEXAN on as it easily scratches. Just be careful, safe and take your time, so you don't scuff up the LEXAN.

One thing I will say is, I have not checked the price on glass but having to cut it so that it wraps around anything that is in the tank that needs protrudes out and above the surface, that's where glass in my opinion is difficult to work with. With LEXAN, and a Sabre (some people call it a Jigsaw) saw, you can customize whatever you want for cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEXAN 1.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	726890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LEXAN 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	726898  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Thanks @Freemananana and that is what I tried. However, the glass panels that came with my tank are too think for the moulding so I will either need to buy new glass or come up with something different.
When I have glass that is too thick I just notch the bottom part of the channel so it can sit on the stationary lid and cut the length so it fits snug in the tank frame . The movable lid slides on the track just fine . Excuse my bad drawing , but you get the idea.....
Attached Images

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks @Leeatl. The glass sits really tight on the edges so I need to cut the lower piece flush with vertical part. It was too thick to do with a blade and scissors won't cut it. I need to try again with a better tool (maybe wire clips).

Tank Journal -
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

I just score it with a razor knife and it snaps right off .

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Might take a bit of work, but sandpaper is pretty safe and could take just enough off to make it fit nicely.
Leeatl and Leeatl like this.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What are those tracks called? (Say if I were to go into a hardware store and ask someone to point me in the right direction). Asking for eggcrate at the hardware store they just look at you funny, found that one on my own!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

This is what I get from my local HD....
852 1/2 in. x 3/4 in. x 8 ft. PVC Composite White Outside Corner Moulding-0085208011 - The Home Depot

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I just score it with a razor knife and it snaps right off .
That just made me slap my palm into my forehead. Thanks and I have no clue why I didn't think of that.

Tank Journal -
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
That just made me slap my palm into my forehead. Thanks and I have no clue why I didn't think of that.
U r welcome . If I have to notch it I just push the razor knife down through the part I want to cut then score and snap .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode