Which is a good, quiet canister filter? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
I found where I can get an Eheim Classic for a decent price (affordable for me, at least). The tubing and spray bar -in fact all the plastic fittings- are green. Don't they make one with clear tubing? Is it really noticeable when in the tank? I'm hoping it won't stand out a lot against a black background...
Get a can of Krylon Fusion and spray all the hard plastic black . Grab the Eheim , they run quiet and last forever .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I set up a Sunsun hw302 last weekend . 50$ shipped and its dead silent
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Yeah Sunsuns are dead silent.

Also have a Hydor pro 600 that is really nice. Fun fact about Hydors, they are rated with media inside, so the gph listed is actually what you get. Unlike most canisters which are rated empty and you can count on about 50-60% of the gph listed.
varanidguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
^ same with ehiem. For me I have no problem spending a little extra on what is probably the most important piece of equipment for the tank. OP type into the search bar cannister recommendations for my....... I willing to bet you will see this same discussion over and over even on multiple forums. It seems that if your willing to go budget filter Sunsun is the most popular if your wanting a dependable track record Eheim, and the new guy on the block is Hydor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I was just asking about the products- that's allowed, right?
The Rena is quiet and easy to shut down and re-start after cleaning.
jr125 and jr125 like this.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Yeah Sunsuns are dead silent.

Also have a Hydor pro 600 that is really nice. Fun fact about Hydors, they are rated with media inside, so the gph listed is actually what you get. Unlike most canisters which are rated empty and you can count on about 50-60% of the gph listed.
I have the Hydor Pro 350 on a 60 gallon tank. The out-flow is almost too much for the tank running 48" across using the spray bar that came with it. I did enlarge the spray bar holes a bit to help with the flow and to also eliminate a "whistling" sound I was hearing. After that simple modification I'm extremely happy with it, especially for the price. Also, their custom service has been excellent.

With all of that being said, it doesn't sound like you can go wrong with an Eheim either from everything I've read.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd vote for an Eheim 2217, as other have suggested, or a Cobalt EXT, which is cheaper and would be great for a 38 gallon tank. Both are dead quiet.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have the Hydor 350 for about three months now. Super quiet. Good? I'll answer that next year at this time, when I can rate reliability. So far no problems, and doing a good job of filtering. As a plus, the flow rates are rated with media loaded, where most(all?) others are rated empty. I have it on a 75, and have the output throttled down to about half, and it's still a strong current.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:31 AM
Captain

Quote:
Ok, thanks much that's exactly the kind of input I needed.. Further search there's another store nearby has the Eheim Professional4 + 250 it's rated for 32-65 gal so I'm assuming that sufficient for my tank?

I'm hoping I can just move into the canister the filter media I currently have in my HOB, and use the other fittings that came w/my sponge prefilter to somehow use that still as well.
Trying not to add to the "buy this, buy that", but I can tell you I own the Eheim Professional 4+ model 350. Have it on my 75g heavily planted tank. The Pros: it is very quiet and the flow output is basically what is stated by the mfg. It is not a huge amount of flow, but it certainly gets the job done. The course filter at the top does load up fairly quickly for me - have to clean it out every 3 weeks. The media in the 3 trays could be cleaned every 6 weeks likely. The filter comes with some of the best bio media available (in my opinion) so that is something to consider. The Cons: The priming button placement sucks. The only up side to that is you may only need to use it the first time you set it up.

Hope this doesn't mess up your decision making too much.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thank you everyone- very helpful feedback.
Lots of solid recommendations for the Eheim I see.

|
|
|
|
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

Even the cheapo Chinese stuff are mainly pretty quiet. If it's noisy, it's usually an unbalanced impeller or too much resistance at the outflow caused by spray bars or outflow being narrower than intake. In Malaysia where I am, the Eheims vs. the cheapo Chinese is a no-brainer since the price difference is like around 3x so I went Chinese. I've had two Fluvals before so I can see where the corners were cut but as long as I see dirt going into the intake and not coming back through the outflow, I'm cool with that.

If you have a noisy filter, regardless of whether it's a canister, powerhead driven or hanger, try removing the impeller and cleaning it. Sometimes, it could be that it's gone unbalanced due to uneven wear / damage from substrate or that the metal / ceramic rod is not seated properly. It's amazing what a simple wiggle can do sometimes.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

N/a
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I found where I can get an Eheim Classic for a decent price (affordable for me, at least). The tubing and spray bar -in fact all the plastic fittings- are green. Don't they make one with clear tubing? Is it really noticeable when in the tank? I'm hoping it won't stand out a lot against a black background...

I have had several Eheim 2217 over the years. Never experienced an issue with them and they are very silent. You can't go wrong with Eheim classic series.

As far as the green plastic fittings go, you can replace them by these sets:

https://eheim.com/en_GB/aquatics/acc...sset-1-4004300

https://eheim.com/en_GB/complement/a...sset-2-4004310

55g low-tech tank with rainbowfish, empire gudgeon, panda garras and cories.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm running a Fluval 407 on my 40 breeder and love it. Upgraded from a SunSun 303b which was honestly still a good filter. But I needed a little more umph for my reactor.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode