Which Co2 System Should I Go With? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for all of the responses.

Unfortunately I limited to a 10lb tank due to the height underneath the stand. Do you know if you can find a 20lb short tank? I've looked around some online with no success.

I would like to avoid the sump as an option. However what has me intrigued is the Cerges Reactor built with a water filter housing. I could have one up to twenty inches tall. I've found some with 1" fittings which would be perfect for the fluval FX6 hosing.

I feel this would basically be like a mega inline diffuser. If anyone has tried this set up with a FX6 I'd love to know.

As of now I will definitely be going with the GLA system as being in the states I'm concerned with the Co2 Art and having issues finding fittings for the metric based system.

I plan on sticking to the one filter, and if I find I have circulation issues wouldn't it be a more economical to add a power head to maintain proper water movement($50 vs. at least $200)? I've had another FX6 on a 120g in the past and was able to maintain pristine water conditions with little effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
If it is not much trouble for you. I would love to see few more other examples with more co2 and nutrient demanding plants.

My thought is, although I agree with you that in planted tanks, we do not need to fully rely on filters to grow beneficial bacteria, but we do need the water movement to blow co2 and nutrients around the whole tank. Your tank in the picture does look good. But I am interested to see if your theory would still work if you swap those Bobitis, Fern, and moss out for something more demanding. If you have created a dutch scape with this setup, I would also really interested to see.
Had a feeling you were going to ask that after being in the hobby for a while I moved away from traditional stems because of the maintenance. Just so you know the tank pictured above has a full background of blyxa Japonica.

Anyway here's an older setup in the same tank. Not a great scape, but it will prove the point I think.

huhu89151734 and huhu89151734 like this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 12:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
FWIW I have the GLA stainless option. I forget the specific name. The most expensive one. I could not be happier.

Oh hey I remember you, how is the filter working for you?

Last edited by Clinton Parsons; 09-12-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: hgfdsa

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you are worried about the amount of CO2 not being enough then use 3-5 diffusers by splitting the CO2 line. As long as you have 40-45 PSI then you should be able to push CO2 to each of those lines.

I have a single 20lb tank split into 5 ways. I have 3 diffusers in a 29 gallon tall and 2 in a 20 gallon long. Never had any issue with CO2.

If you want to go with the reactor route then you might need to inject 3-4 hours before the lights turn on. At the end of the day it is about finding the limit that your fish can tolerate then usually dialing it down a bit from that amount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
Whhhhhat? A single FX6 for that whole 125gallons of water?

I say get a second filter and hook up a whatever inline reactor on each of the filters. That GLA Gro is good, other than what you have mentioned, also tell them to build a splitter with the system so you can use one co2 system to feed both of the reactors I was talking about.
This is when you buy a powerhead for like $30 instead of another FX6 for $300. Sure another FX6 would be a plus but it is not worth buying another enormous canister just for more flow. FX6 are huge and contain enough media IMO to support a decently stocked 125.

I say just get the cheapest GLA and build your own PVC Rex Griggs style reactor. GLA will prettymuch guaranteed 'just work' which is really all you need and the DIY reactor is cheap and effective if you build it right. Can't go wrong with that combo... I use an old school GLA from many years ago that I got secondhand and it is rock solid. Made my own reactor out of 2" PVC and it has served me very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
My thought of getting a second filter is due to the idea of running two reactors on each filter. Big reactors reduce flow rate by quite a bit, I quit using my 22" reactor due to my Eheim 2076 with 425gph rate could not fully drive the tall factor I had, and gas would build up in the reactor by the end of the day. Sure you could hook up the second reactor to a powerhead to get the same result, or not even use a second reactor at all.

器材党
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I plan on doing a Griggs setup. I watched a few DIYs on youtube and it couldn't be easier to build (Anyone know where I can find some cheap clear PVC?).

Thank you for your help. I will soon start a journal as soon as some of the supplies start showing up.

Currently just have a tank and stand lol

Tags
c02, co2, diffuser, inline, pressurized

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode