Drilled and plugged tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By longgonedaddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Drilled and plugged tank?

So there's a 75 gallon for sale on Craigslist that the bottom panel has been drilled for bulkheads, but is currently plugged for normal aquarium use. I've never had a tank that's been drilled before, but this might be the right tank at the right price.

If I go look at it, is there anything I should keep an eye out for? Besides obvious things like cracks or ill-fitting plugs?

Any horror stories about these things popping loose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't have any stories lol, ask the seller about it ask him why hes selling it
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I don't have any stories lol, ask the seller about it ask him why hes selling it
From the pics, I'm assuming a getting out of the hobby breakdown. By that's a question I'll ask him if I decide to move forward despite the drillings.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drilling is the norm for saltwater tanks to accommodate the plumbing. If the bottom of the tank has been drilled, I would suspect it was drilled at the factory and at one time had a weir. The bottom is usually tempered and once tempered, it cannot be drilled, so the factory drills it first, them tempers it, then builds the tank. Sidewalls are usually not tempered so the owner is able to drill them. This is what is known as "reef ready". These tanks are plugged all the time since there are better ways to do this. It does not compromise the tank integrity at all. However, I would remove the plugs and silicone a piece of glass over the holes, then the conversion is permanent. Have him fill it and have it ready with water when you arrive so you can assess for leaks. Also if it is bottom drilled and plugged, it will not fit on a stand unless the stand has cutouts/space for the plugs.

Current Tank: 125g reef ready with 40 gallon sump. ATI 4x80 watt T5 with 2x Super Flora T5 Giesemann, 1x ATI Purple Plus, 1x ATI AquaBlue Special. GLA CO2 system, Flourite substrate, Digital Aquatics Controller.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantGate View Post
Drilling is the norm for saltwater tanks to accommodate the plumbing. If the bottom of the tank has been drilled, I would suspect it was drilled at the factory and at one time had a weir. The bottom is usually tempered and once tempered, it cannot be drilled, so the factory drills it first, them tempers it, then builds the tank. Sidewalls are usually not tempered so the owner is able to drill them. This is what is known as "reef ready". These tanks are plugged all the time since there are better ways to do this. It does not compromise the tank integrity at all. However, I would remove the plugs and silicone a piece of glass over the holes, then the conversion is permanent. Have him fill it and have it ready with water when you arrive so you can assess for leaks. Also if it is bottom drilled and plugged, it will not fit on a stand unless the stand has cutouts/space for the plugs.
Thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode