Matrix without Seachem - Page 39 - The Planted Tank Forum
 468Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #571 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The sponge is definitely showing why it is used so much , but I would think you would have to run 2 in a tank so one could be cleaned good every so often and then the other after the first gets going again . I run prefilter sponges on all my filters and because I have so many filters and so much media in them I just use the pre sponges for mechanical filtering and clean them good in tap water that has no chlorine in it every weekly water change .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Don't discount the sponge filter.
I have some from the early 80's still in operation today.
Made by Tetra with green plastic tubes and such.
I have replaced the suction cups a few times though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #573 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I used to have one of those!!!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #574 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 01:27 AM
Captain

My favorite LFS runs sponges on most of their tanks - and they have a LOT of tanks!!! I certainly understand their benefit to the industry and as far as a LFS goes, they likely are the best option. A good friend here in town has around 35+ tanks running in his garage and they all run sponge filters. For him, the best part is the 1 air pump is on a battery backup. Power outages just don't really bother him much.

So, anyway, I am just curious / surprised how much bacteria these things can support. I will definitely have to find some way of keeping this sponge going once the experiment is done.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #575 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The deal with the sponge & LFS.
All they need is an air pump, every tank is separate, no water contamination.
Something happens and only 1 tank is infected.
Many basement hobbyist's and breeders use them in said manner also.
Late 70's and early 80's while converting to saltwater I had one in every tank.
Always run dual sponge filter, one gets dirty rinse in tank water from a water change only.
Very effective for the nitrogen cycle.

post #576 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:29 AM
Captain

@Maryland Guppy, "Very effective for the nitrogen cycle" Are you saying they are effective at reducing nitrates?

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #577 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

NO3 will not decrease with a sponge filter.
Just a great means of getting NH3 to NO3 very quickly.
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.

post #578 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 04:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Agreed 80% - Ton of surface area, dead simple, economical.
But, they are a bit ugly.
We agree 100%, I never claimed they look good doing it lol

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #579 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hmf sponge filters esp if you plant in them actually look pretty good.

I'm also kind of surprised that the bare tank is able to process 4pm ammonia, but that the nitrite bacteria hasn't really grown a bigger population. I say this because there has consistently been. .25ppm nitrite left, not a larger amount every dose indicating the bacteria can't keep up, and not a smaller amount indicating the bacteria are expanding and consuming more, but exactly balanced

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #580 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:12 PM
Captain

Good evening TPT - another update.
The bare tank is once again at 0.25ppm nitrite. At this point I an going to pull a Jamie & Adam and say it's "busted". A glass box with nothing but an air Stone is just not going to be able to safely process the ammonia waste generated by your fish (assumed 4ppm for this test).

As for the sponge filter - I am impressed. This little thing just keeps on going. It handled 45ppm ammonia without issue. (45 + 25% = 56) - So, tonite I will dose 56ppm ammonia and see what tomorrow nite brings.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 08-27-2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: <?>
post #581 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
The sponge is definitely showing why it is used so much , but I would think you would have to run 2 in a tank so one could be cleaned good every so often and then the other after the first gets going again . I run prefilter sponges on all my filters and because I have so many filters and so much media in them I just use the pre sponges for mechanical filtering and clean them good in tap water that has no chlorine in it every weekly water change .
I run prefilters as well. I clean my canisters every two or three months to swap purigen and my filter floss is still in good shape. Big time help on the maintenance schedule
Leeatl and Leeatl like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #582 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Who wants to place their bets on how far the sponge will go? I'm guessing 70ppm.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #583 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

After all these tests have shown us I would not be surprised at 70ppm...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #584 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Captain

Well guys, we will know within 24 hours ;-)

The 56ppm was handled just fine by the simple little sponge filter. So, looking at the math (56ppm + 25% = 70ppm) I just dumped in 75mL ammonia after doing a 100% water change.

One thing I have noticed with all this experimenting - when we get closer to the ragged edge of what 10 gallons of water can handle, the ammonia test starts showing a slight orange tint. It still is yellow which is 0.0ppm but the color is just a bit odd.

thedood, thedood, Leeatl and 3 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #585 of 614 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Captain

Well, well, well. Would seem @thedood and @Leeatl are pretty smart. I would have bet money on a fail at this level but it would seem the little sponge filter is likely a better bacteria host than any of the previous stuff I have tested. And to be honest, I have seen the nitrate tube look even darker red than this one. When all is said and done, I think this little guy is going to find a home in the back of my 75g.

So, I guess the only thing left for me to do is change all the water and go for 88ppm (70ppm + 25%) which equates to 95mL of ammonia !

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode