Vibrating Pumps - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Why go with Eheim pumps instead of the DC pump linked above? DC pumps are much more quiet than AC pumps. You could have gone with just this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INTDJM6/ref=twister_B00TQZ6J32?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It's about the same price as the 2 pumps you originally had. I've seen nothing but praise for this pump in the saltwater community and had planned on using a much larger one myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I didn't actually realize that dc is quieter, and I've had good luck with Eheim stuff.

Actually, having lived on a boat for 9 years I think made me think of dc pumps as clattery. The dc pumps on a sailboat are generally diaphragm pumps though, so that may account for the difference.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think your on the right track, I have the dc pumps and they are very quiet. But I have heard nothing but good about eheim pumps. Just wondering why more then one pump? I'm getting by with one pump and moving around 1200 gallon thru my sump. I get more water noise then pump noise.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Planted Member

I had a similar issue (my vibration/noise was from Danner Mag pumps) and narrowed it down to Sicce, Eheim, and DC pumps. I think any of them would have worked fine, but I went with Sicce (Syncra series) and have been very happy with it. The water rippling at the return (which is minmal) is louder than the pump. Good Luck! It's worth it to get a sump running smoothly, I've only had to mess with the sump a couple times in the last five months, and getting all of the equipment out of the tank was worth the extra set up time!

-Justin
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got two pumps because With the Quietones, even though they are rated about the same as the Eheim, I actually needed two in order to have sufficient flow. With the Eheims, I don't really need two - but I'm plumbed for two until at least Sunday, so I just turned them way down.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am currently running only one return at full throttle, and as of this morning, it is dead silent. Sunday, I'll plumb in a y-valve and get both returns going to have better flow through the tank. I really appreciate all the help and advice I'm getting here.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
I am currently running only one return at full throttle, and as of this morning, it is dead silent. Sunday, I'll plumb in a y-valve and get both returns going to have better flow through the tank. I really appreciate all the help and advice I'm getting here.
Glad you were able to figure it out. What was your final solution? did you just switch to the DC pump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. The Eheim pump did the trick.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Freemananana, I wanted to tell you that when the pump for my closed loop CO2 died, I remembered this thread and ordered a Jebao DCT4000 for it. Holy wow! That thing is absolutely silent. You weren't kidding. Ordering another one, possibly the next size up, for my returns. The flow from this thing is fantastic, so I'll finally get around to plumbing a "y" into my returns - to use two of these I'd probably have to run them at about 20%. Thanks for the suggestion, wish I'd followed it in the first place...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode