The Planted Tank Forum banner

San Francisco water KH

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JBoz 
#1 ·
Those who live in San Franciso, what KH and GH have you measured out of the tap? I did a quick KH test using the Tetra test kit and I believe the KH I got is somewhere between 1.5-2 degrees. Is that what you are getting also?

I am setting up a CO2 injected planted tank for the first time and I need some feedback on what others using SF tap water are doing to achieve a good chemical balance for plants and fish.

Any feedback from SF locals would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Down on the peninsula(Belmont) tap water is typically KH of 3 and pH=8.5-9.0. I think we are the same water, but not for sure.

The golf course I work at in San Francisco though has a KH of 2-3 and pH of 8.3.

Either way, with CO2 of 1 bps I got the pH down to 7 which is about 10ppm and if you increase the CO2 you should be good, no?

Side note, what is/are your favorite plant/fish stores?

#6 ·
Just a note here. Tap water pH should be tested after it has rested for a minimum of 12 hours and 24 hours is much better.

Also note that if you look at the pH/CO2/kH chart and find the 2 ppm range that's in the normal range of CO2 concentration in water. So if you have a pH of 9 and a kH of 2-3 you know that the water company is adding something to the water to raise the kH.

#9 ·
Thanks for the input. The tank is now regulated with CO2 injection at 6.8 and my KH is around 1.5-2 degrees. Per the table, that puts my CO2 at aound 7-10ppm. It looks like I have to decrease the pH to around 6.6 to achieve a CO2 level at the minimum recommended 15ppm.

If I regulate the pH to 6.6 over the next few days to get more CO2, will this adversely affect my fish too much? I am used to keeping the tank at around 7.2 without injection.

Regarding plants, I am in SF and I have some large Anubia that I can trade. I have had the Anubia for the last 6 years before starting a high watt planted tank and they have grown from a few small rizome clippings to foot tall plants.

I need some fast growing green and red plants now that I started the injection before I get too much algea buildup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.