Dwarf Crayfish with Dwarf Puffers? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Crayfish with Dwarf Puffers?

Hey everyone.
My 10g is going to have 2-3 dwarf puffers.

Many people/websites say they will not bother adult RCS. Many people/wesbites say they will. So, I am going to try it with 1 or 2. If the RCS get eaten, oh well. Expensive snack and I will look at getting a couple Otos. If they don't get eaten, I may look into adding a few more.

Doing a little research last night I stumbled on Dwarf Crayfish. Anyone know if these are more or less compatible with Dwarf Puffers? In particular I am interested in the Orange and Cajun varieties.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Not at all. Puffers are relentless and crays are aggressive. You'll have 3 dead puffers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue Diamond Neocaridina
Tangerine Tiger Caridina
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Planted Member

Puffers in my experience enjoy any and every invert as a good meal. Keeping inverts in the tank for more than a few days just not gonna happen. When I had puffers, shrimp and snails were a regular part of their diet. Never tried with cherries, but they loved eating some ghost shrimp. Honestly I didn't have luck with otos either. The puffers would guard the tank and harass the otos anytime they moved, but I think this was more of an individual thing.

If you want the puffers I would recommend a species tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 05:55 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I heard Otocinclus is a good tank mate for a dwarf puffer. Puffers seem to overlook them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Please don't put otos in a 10g. Otos need larger groups and a 10 gal is too small unless you just kept otos alone in it maybe.

20g long with Otos, Corydoras Pygmaeus, RCS and Nerites

2.6 gal nano planted Sparkling gourami breeding tank

2 gal planted Betta Splendens tank

10 g planted with Sparkling Gourami fry
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Totally agree 10 gal is not enough for otos. A 10 gal would only be enough for 2 otos unless you feed them on the side with zucchini and other veggies. I used to keep a CAE with my puffers and that was a great combo. They got along well but I had a bigger tank. A CAE will not make it in a 10 gal. But you might be able to put a rubberlip pleco in the tank with the puffers. Same scenario as the otos, a herbivore and the puffers, but no need to get more then one and a rubberlip will keep the tank spotless. No competition over food and the pleco sleeps inside a "cave" or other hiding spot during the day and comes out at night when the puffers sleep. Should work better than otos. Another option is a clown pleco but they are wood eaters and you would have to have real driftwood in the tank. The rubberlip is the better option as he does not require wood just a cave to call his own and an occasional treat of algae wafers or other sinking pellets, like tetra min tablets, shrimp pellets etc.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:05 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
otos will die off in any tank size
I have one guy that's hanging in there for several years now.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Gotcha on the Otos. I do have a real piece of (pain in the ass, can't get it to sink) driftwood. From what I have read, most of the more colorful Plecos need larger than 10g. I.E. Zebra Pleco. Although, I could see if I can find a young one. Anyone know how long they take to get full sized to the point where you would need larger than a 10g?

I guess I am just going to have to hope the puffers won't eat the RCS. If that happens, I may try something larger like an Amano shrimp or Orange Dwarf Crayfish. If that doesn't work.... Well... I may end up upgrading my tank size earlier than I planned.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

That depends on the pleco. Most hypancistruses (like the L46 zebra) take close to 4 years to mature. L134s (peckoltia) about 2. BNs one year. Also what are you looking for in the pleco? If you want something to take care of the algae, the zebra will do nothing for you as that is a carnivore. You might want to check out L129. One of the smallest plecos but very pretty and a lot cheaper then the zebra.
PlanetCatfish.com - Hypancistrus debilittera ? Loricariidae ? Cat-eLog

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is very nice. Algae eater? Where can they be purchased? How long do they take to mature? between 2 and 4 years I am planing on upsizing to a 40B tank anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
That depends on the pleco. Most hypancistruses (like the L46 zebra) take close to 4 years to mature. L134s (peckoltia) about 2. BNs one year. Also what are you looking for in the pleco? If you want something to take care of the algae, the zebra will do nothing for you as that is a carnivore. You might want to check out L129. One of the smallest plecos but very pretty and a lot cheaper then the zebra.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Omnivore. Hypansistruses usually take around 4 years to mature but you can buy adults.
There is one auction on Aquabid.com for L129. But they are often auctioned on that site. A nice looking small pleco that is not banned from export, so the asking price is reasonable. I would not get more than one for the 10 gal. Once you upgrade you could get a couple more as breeding them is not unheard of. I myself never had them before.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great. Thanks. Hopefully the shrimp work out and don't turn into an expensive snack. If they do I will be in the market for an another algae eater.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode