What kind of shrimp is this? Scientific name if possible. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
What kind of shrimp is this? Scientific name if possible.

I don't think I've owned this one before, haven't released it yet since it definitely is designed for hunting.

Before it was bagged up, I observed it running around the tank trying to catch things. It's NOT a Indian whisker shrimp. I've had 2 that terrorized & cleaned out a tank of all it's lifeforms slowly but surely.

Thanks.

Link to the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Was it sold as a ghost/glass/grass shrimp?

I know very little about shrimp so I can't be of much help. Perhaps you can ask over at ShrimpSpot for the shrimp experts to identify. Try and get a pic of the shrimp/prawn from it's side, so the spine alignment (hump or lack of) can be seen.

Look into these species Palaemon, Palaemonetes and Macrobrachium to try and find a closer ID.
Like Macrobrachium sp. 'Zebra' (supposedly dwarf species), red claw macro, etc.

But it's hard to say though as shrimp of these species can change drastically as they develop/age. And careful, a lot of them get huge.
Definitely keep it separated from the other shrimp as it will most likely hunt them.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks like a Macrobrachium of some kind. Keep to its own tank or understand everything else in the tank with it will be its food. (unless they're fish large enough to eat it, and even then it will be aggressive and a fin pincher at best.)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Question

Thanks for the suggestions, but I finally released it into a small tank for some photos.

New pictures are below, I'm assuming it's behavior is similar to the whisker shrimps. Checked over 500 photos & still don't see an exact match. Not the macro zebra or macro red (looks close, but there are differences)

Anyway this is why any time I see something unusual I'll bring it home with me.

Glass & grass shrimp are NEVER sold up here as far as I know.

Only ghost shrimps are available, but none of them looked like this one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, but I finally released it into a small tank for some photos.

New pictures are below, I'm assuming it's behavior is similar to the whisker shrimps. Checked over 500 photos & still don't see an exact match. Not the macro zebra or macro red (looks close, but there are differences)

Anyway this is why any time I see something unusual I'll bring it home with me.

Glass & grass shrimp are NEVER sold up here as far as I know.

Only ghost shrimps are available, but none of them looked like this one.
What is the difference between ghost and glass/grass shrimp? Though they were the same species?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumhobbyist View Post
What is the difference between ghost and glass/grass shrimp? Though they were the same species?
There are multiple species of small, transparent shrimp sold as ghost or glass shrimp. Often as feeders. They are usually of genus Paleomonetes and look very similar.

This is why some people claim ghost shrimp won't breed unless the water is brackish, and others find they breed like cockroaches in freshwater. They probably have different species of ghost shrimp.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumhobbyist View Post
No expert, but I believe ghost/glass/grass shrimp are all just common trade names, of the same ONE species, which should be Palaemonetes paludosus -Scientific name- (so yes, you are correct)

At least that is how it is SUPPOSED to be.
Other clear/transparent shrimp are MISIDENTIFIED as these ghost/glass/grass shrimp, when they are actually a different species.

For example, Red Claw Macros and even Amanos are sometimes wrongly labeled as ghost shrimp (I am sure there are probably a bunch of other transparent shrimp that look extremely similar to the 'real' ghost shrimp, but are still different species).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
that is some badass looking shrimp
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
That's a prawn alright. How's the aggression? I wonder if it has the same temperament as a crayfish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This one was extremely active at the shop when I first spotted him, but I might have damaged it's brain cells since I left him in the car till midnight. I think it was 30 degrees that night.

Anyway after floating the bag in the tank, it was upright again about 24 hours later.

So far in the past week he hasn't even been able to catch 2 tiny endlers in a breeder insert, but it's definitely nipped their tailfins. So I'll take the chance & release it into the live bearer tank.

Other than that, there's a ton of floating plants & definitely likes to hang upside down with it's claws fully extended trying to catch something.

The Indian whisker shrimps never did that. The whiskers always patrolled & hid out in the driftwood unless they detected it was feeding time.

North American crayfish are definitely more aggressive since they have bigger claws.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Heh, larger claws doesn't always mean more aggressive.

I've bred and kept Neon Red crayfish/lobsters (max around 5") with a tank full of fish (corydoras and tons of guppies) and they wouldn't really actively hunt any of the fish. Sure they would challenge the corys by raising their claws and walking slowly towards them to move them out of their way, and yes occasionally I would see a cut tail fin, but they never hunted any fish. The corys could even be seen right next to the crayfish without being harmed. Guppies could also swim by the crayfish just fine, well at least most of the time, sometimes it seems the crayfish can get rather bored or just feel like picking on something and will sometimes lift their claws up waiting for a guppy to swim by. Only seen a couple guppy tail fins damaged, but that was it. Through the about, 2 year time span that I have kept them all together, there was only a few instances of deaths, I've only had 1 dead cory and maybe 3 young guppies (not all at once). So those death instances were rare and so they definitely did not hunt. And this was a non-planted tank, just gravel and a few decorations (early days...) and the tank was pretty packed full of fish and crayfish so the little room there was, if they were hunters all the fish surely would have been caught easily and all the fish decimated. Despite the infrequent fin "pinchings", none of the fish lived in fear of the crayfish (they would go right by the crayfish). They would still raise their claws up at me/people, fish nets and gravel vac tubes, like commonly seen among large clawed inverts haha. Never been pinched by one

Oh yeah, and I did house some of the adult crayfish in my larger tank with giant plecos, clown loaches and a arowana and they definitely didn't mess with those bigger guys.

Haven't had any of those clawed dwarf prawns/shrimp like you have had, but it sure does sound like the species you have is quite the aggressive hunter, even attacking larger sized fish (so I've read, if it is a Macrobrachium sp.).

Not doubting your experience with these inverts, but just mentioning mine as a note that larger claws don't necessarily mean more aggressive. I haven't kept any other crawfish so they very well might be more aggressive than the species I had.

Oh yeah, the crayfish did fight with each other (natural behavior, territorial and mating rights), but got along most of the time.

But awww. Poor endlers if they have to live in fear/danger of getting killed by the prawn...
I personally would look at housing it alone (even if you have "too many" endlers) or with larger fish that won't be in danger.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode