Red Shrimp - Eco Sphere (system) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red Shrimp are the shrimp that are used in the eco-spheres and I was wondering if they were slatwater or freshwater...

Because I am wanting to create my own eco-sphere but would want to use a 1 1/2 gallon tank with a glass lid and just leave the lid on...

I would first put a few pieces of driftwood in there and let them site in there for a week or so till the algae starts growing and then buy a couple red shrimp (6-8) and let them eat the algae and then produce waste for nutrients for the plants...

The only thing is that I am afraid that water will evaoparate through the lid and the tank even tho the lid fits right on top, which would make me have to add water every so often....

If the red shrimp are saltwater I was thinking about getting 4-5 Amano and 1 Ghost shrimp... what you think about that ...

The tank would just get indriect sunlight with no heater or fitler, just room temperature

You think this could work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

anyone?

And also does anyone know where you can get red shrimp?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
loko,

Run a search for 'cherry and shrimp'. I think that those are the little guys you are looking for.

As for whether or not your idea would work, I really do not know. My guess is that, although it may be possible to achieve a low-maintenance tank, it will not be maintenance free. As aquarists, we frequently oversimplify natural cycles. We can do this because water changes allow for error without having a crash. Without any water changes, I would think you would inevitably have a disaster.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:32 AM
2la

I don't think cherry red shrimp are saltwater:

http://www.eco-sphere.com/aboutecosphere.htm
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2la
I don't think cherry red shrimp are saltwater:

http://www.eco-sphere.com/aboutecosphere.htm
But this article indicates that it is a saltwater system with red shrimp.

Charles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Im confuzed...

So are the red shrimp saltwater and need saltwater to live in or they freshwater?

It says on the site Sea Water so pressuming that would be saltwater?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The ones in the eco-sphere are saltwater shrimp. The Red Cherry shrimp we keep in our tanks are freshwater shrimp.

George

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Do you believe its possible for me to do this in a 2 1/2 gallon tank?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:12 PM
2la

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesP
But this article indicates that it is a saltwater system with red shrimp.

Charles
Right, which means that if you run a search for "cherry" and "shrimp" you'll be referencing freshwater shrimp rather than the saltwater ones used in the Ecospheres. Or perhaps I misunderstood unirdna, who may have been suggesting the cherry red as a freshwater alternative to the red shrimp...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

How large are the cherry shrimp and do you think this is possible
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I assumed that loko was looking to make a 'freshwater' eco-sphere.

Quotes like these...

"I would first put a few pieces of driftwood in there"

"If the red shrimp are saltwater I was thinking about getting 4-5 Amano and 1 Ghost shrimp... what you think about that ... "

...make it sound like a freshwater setup to me.

So, as 2la correctly inferred, I offered an alternative (cherry shrimp) to the saltwater "red" shrimp (which, btw, I know nothing about ops: ).

Sorry if I confused anyone 8)

To answer your recent question, loko, cherry shrimp grow to about an inch.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode