amazonia and water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
amazonia and water changes?

how often should i do water changes while this stuff leaches? im just using tap water right now trying to save on the water bill but close to the end of all the leaching i will switch to pure ro. is it best to do them daily or weekly or is it just a personal thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I don't do any water changes and let it leech out all the ammonia it wants. My filter bacteria eventually catches up and removes it all. I usually do one water change right before adding shrimp. If you wanted to add shrimp sooner you can do more water changes to remove the ammonia faster.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Both my tanks i have amazonia in I let it do its thing for the month before I did any water changes. Ive heard that if you mess with it while its cycling it can take alot longer and you can get higher spikes. Soooo I would let it do its full thing... Mine took 27 days for my second tank to get the ammonia spike... I was testing ever day just so I would know the answer, but ya i left my tank alone and day 31 after I added water it was ready for live stock.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Can't you just use purigen while it's leeching as to avoid wc?

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Can't you just use purigen while it's leeching as to avoid wc?
No.

And wicca27, I usually do two per week. Otherwise the ammonia gets up to like 8+ppm and it actually slows down the process by quite a while.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
I don't do any water changes and let it leech out all the ammonia it wants. My filter bacteria eventually catches up and removes it all. I usually do one water change right before adding shrimp. If you wanted to add shrimp sooner you can do more water changes to remove the ammonia faster.
Same here. The ammonia that the plants don't use gets turned into no3 and then the plants use it, win/win for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
No.

And wicca27, I usually do two per week. Otherwise the ammonia gets up to like 8+ppm and it actually slows down the process by quite a while.
So even with an already established bio filter. Purigen and plants it leeches out that much ammonia to the point of no return haha? But seriously why so much ammonia

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 PM
These pants? are fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
So even with an already established bio filter. Purigen and plants it leeches out that much ammonia to the point of no return haha? But seriously why so much ammonia
The ammonia is in the soil, it's supposed to be there and available for plants. But the soil hasn't been wet before, so a lot is released right at first. Think of it like a tea bag. First time you brew tea with the bag, the tea is strong with caffeine, but if you pour another cup and use the e same tea bag, the caffeine content is much lower, use it a third time and you can barely detect any caffeine at all.

Using purigen doesn't remove any ammonia, it polishes water and prevents decaying organics from becoming ammonia. At least that's how they describe it.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks all i guess i will up the water changes.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
The ammonia is in the soil, it's supposed to be there and available for plants. But the soil hasn't been wet before, so a lot is released right at first. Think of it like a tea bag. First time you brew tea with the bag, the tea is strong with caffeine, but if you pour another cup and use the e same tea bag, the caffeine content is much lower, use it a third time and you can barely detect any caffeine at all.

Using purigen doesn't remove any ammonia, it polishes water and prevents decaying organics from becoming ammonia. At least that's how they describe it.
That makes sence, the tea bag explanation I like that.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What about something like ammo chips, or ammo carb??? Not meaning to hijack this thread Wicca. But I just tore my plants and substrate out my of spec 2 and put some Amazonia in to cycle out. Just need a new light.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
I also do about 2 60% water changes a week

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

no prob Subtletanks91 is you dont ask you wont know. its about the same thing any way. personally i would stick with water changes. i dont like adding anything to the tank unless i have to. ive heard ammo chips can leach once they absorb all they can so i would be leary of them any way
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 03:27 AM
These pants? are fancy.

Here's the thing about using ammo chips instead of doing water changes.

Ammonia isn't the only thing coming out of your aqua soil. It just happens to be the one thing that we can measure easily. Add ammo chips and sure it removes some of the ammonia, but it leaves the phosphates, leaves the biomatter, leaves the minerals, tannins, etc. Those all flood out like the ammonia in huge spikes.

But you can do whatever you feel like, I'm just giving advice
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I avoided water changes with mine because I did not want to buy RO for water changes on a tank with no shrimp in it, and I did not want to use my tap since it is liquid rock and I didn't want to burn out the buffering capacity of the soil with my tap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode