Marina Breeder box - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Marina Breeder box

Hello all my TPT friends. I am writing this brief thread to help a few of you through my past experiences with using breeder boxes for the purpose of rearing, breeding and/or isolating shrimp.
Couple of things for you from my past experiences.
Mesh breeder boxes don't work for shrimp...they suck. They will work in a pinch and certainly long enough for you to get solid ones but take my advice on this. Reason being, the shrimp actually can climb the mesh out of the breeder box and either get back into the tank or worse (as I have had done) go over the other side and onto the floor. The worse thing of all is that it provides no protection for selective breeding since outside shrimp can breed through the net if conditions are perfect (I have witnessed this myself).
I have used breeder boxes extensively for years in order to selectively breed my shrimp (and fish before that). I have found there is only one that I like...the Marina Breeder box. It comes in two sizes, and I prefer the larger. It is an external box with an internal air lift tube which draw water from the tank into the box and then overflows out. They are AWE SOME!
The only disadvantage I have found is that it prevents your tank lid from closing which cause evap and temp loss as well as exposing your tank to outside threats (ie dragon fly larva etc) through the now open tank top.
ALSO, very important for keeping shrimp in these specific breeder boxes...you MUST cut a piece of sponge in a square shape to perfect fit the overflow of the breeder box to ensure that the shrimp do not exit the box. The little "grate" they give you is not adequate for smaller shrimp.
I will add a few pics of mine this evening when I get home unless I can find some in my mess I call files. :P
Hope this helps a few of you since they can be used with outstanding results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
Good review.

Sometimes when I get shrimp from trusted sellers I will use a large breeder box for introducing the new shrimp to my display tanks. I turn down the air life tube so its just slowly dripping into the breeder box. I remove the gate or sponge I also use. Eventually the entire box will fill up and begin to overflow back into the display tank. If you just leave it like that the shrimp seem to figure out that they can enjoy a nice slide into the display tank when they are ready. its fun to watch how smart they really are.

again I only use this method when I trust the water the shrimp are coming in.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Sean speaks the truth. Escape has been my number one complaint with these boxes for selective breeding. To supplement, i've used saran wrap over the lid to keep the lid down and moisture within. A course sponge covering the span of the outflow is also a must!

To keep eliminate the bubbling noise, a marina mini filter was used to replace the airline to feed a steady flow of water up into the inflow pipe.

Thanks for posting ORhunterfisher!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orhunterfisher View Post
Hello all my TPT friends. I am writing this brief thread to help a few of you through my past experiences with using breeder boxes for the purpose of rearing, breeding and/or isolating shrimp.
Couple of things for you from my past experiences.
Mesh breeder boxes don't work for shrimp...they suck. They will work in a pinch and certainly long enough for you to get solid ones but take my advice on this. Reason being, the shrimp actually can climb the mesh out of the breeder box and either get back into the tank or worse (as I have had done) go over the other side and onto the floor. The worse thing of all is that it provides no protection for selective breeding since outside shrimp can breed through the net if conditions are perfect (I have witnessed this myself).
I have used breeder boxes extensively for years in order to selectively breed my shrimp (and fish before that). I have found there is only one that I like...the Marina Breeder box. It comes in two sizes, and I prefer the larger. It is an external box with an internal air lift tube which draw water from the tank into the box and then overflows out. They are AWE SOME!
The only disadvantage I have found is that it prevents your tank lid from closing which cause evap and temp loss as well as exposing your tank to outside threats (ie dragon fly larva etc) through the now open tank top.
ALSO, very important for keeping shrimp in these specific breeder boxes...you MUST cut a piece of sponge in a square shape to perfect fit the overflow of the breeder box to ensure that the shrimp do not exit the box. The little "grate" they give you is not adequate for smaller shrimp.
I will add a few pics of mine this evening when I get home unless I can find some in my mess I call files. :P
Hope this helps a few of you since they can be used with outstanding results.
I've found that my Marina Breeders get really cold in the winter when using them in my garage. I quit using mine because of this. Do yours stay warm enough for you? Or do you just use them in the summer?

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have found that they can be a little colder but it also depends on whether you are good about keeping the tanks topped off. In winter they evap quicker due to the overall differences in temp and then when the water level drops, the air lift pump on the Marina box becomes less efficient and therefore has a slower turnover rate allow it to cool well below tank temp. If you stay up on water level it is not bad. I do have some soft foam "clothe" for lack of a better word, wrapping two of my boxes to add a little insulation but have found the water level to be the major factor.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i cheat with the heat on mine. i have even used it for angel fish eggs and fry. i use a small light from a 1 gal hex tank on top of the breeder box. it keeps the temp up in the breeder box if left on all the time and its great for keeping an eye on the little ones. i use cfl bulbs in these light and can post a pic later if any one wants to see
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have two of these and I've had disastrous results from both! It sucks in all the babies from the tank and they can't escape and the breeder box also fills up full of algae and scum even with all the water flow. Currently I have them on a shelf slowly becoming covered with dust.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonnoodle View Post
I have two of these and I've had disastrous results from both! It sucks in all the babies from the tank and they can't escape and the breeder box also fills up full of algae and scum even with all the water flow. Currently I have them on a shelf slowly becoming covered with dust.

Again,
If not using them properly and maintaining them then they can certainly have problems. If you are sucking fry in from the tank, all you have to do is put a sponge over the internal intake pipe as if it were an HOB intake and problem solved. The scum part I have never experienced and don't "overly" maintain mine.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I have a bunch of 7.5 watt heaters that I put inside the breeder boxes. It's just enough to keep the water just warm enough.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orhunterfisher View Post
Again,
If not using them properly and maintaining them then they can certainly have problems. If you are sucking fry in from the tank, all you have to do is put a sponge over the internal intake pipe as if it were an HOB intake and problem solved. The scum part I have never experienced and don't "overly" maintain mine.
There is no doubt that the water params will vary from the main tank. And it gets worse over time. There is just not enough water flow. The only solution would be to get a very strong air pump to create more flow or change the water in the box once in a while. But obviously that would defeat the purpose of the box...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
not true. you can use the hagen elite mini internal filter. the out flow of it will fit right in to the lift tube and push water though. i did that for the angel fry.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
These rock for the Large breeder. Apparently they aren't sold by the big boxes anymore. I wonder if they're discontinued. Sad. I think I paid $7.95 for mine last year. There are units for sale on ebay and amazon if you're interested.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have absolutely zero problems with water quality. Now I don't use any wimpy lil cheap air pump to drive my system either. When using a quality air pump there are absolutely no problems with water quality. I, in fact, have my valve turned down to prevent too much flow through the box. You could certainly add a mini powerhead as wicca suggested as well.
I cannot have my conditions different in my breeder boxes. That would defeat the purpose. The ability to add and remove shrimp at will to selectively breed is my main goal. These boxes work very well for my needs with exceptions of the negatives I mentioned above. Evap and temp loss are a big deal in my system. Again, these are my personal experiences and observations...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
So what happen to the pics?

Pics or it aint real!! j/k
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post

Are these soundless? Like an EHEIM?

And do they work well with the medium sized breeder box?

You mossn't be so rude!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode