How to sex CRS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to sex CRS?

What are the easiest ways to determine the sex of a CRS?

In general the females are bigger and have a rounder body.. I'm 'guessing' this is a male and female but not 100% sure. Is there any other tips or traits to look for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Another pic

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Both crs in the first pic are female
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
I agree with mordalphus.

It can be quite difficult at times. The only sure way is to se a saddle or them being berried. To me females look very "tankish"...more round and robust. Males look more sleek and have a "check mark" shape.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Perfect thanks. Makes it easy if I have two females. I just ordered one of those mesh breeder boxes. I want to get a male/female in there to up my red numbers since they are mostly black. Would you do 2f/1m or just 1/1. Is there any easy way to see or tell when they are saddled and ready to mate?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
you do know that blue tiger will cross with both the reds and blacks right?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yep. I just added them today. I'm setting up a new tank for them and going to add some fish in for a few weeks to let the tank establish and build up some biofilm before I move them In. It's there temp home. If they do happen to mate ... I'll just have to net them out and start a Tibee tank

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Other than body shape is there any other tell tale signs?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Couple of things for you from my past experiences.
First: mesh breeder boxes don't work for shrimp...they suck. They will work in a pinch and certainly long enough for you to get solid ones but take my advice on this. Reason being, the shrimp actually can climb the mesh out of the breeder box and either get back into the tank or worse (as I have had done) go over the other side and onto the floor. The worse thing of all is that it provides no protection for selective breeding since outside shrimp can breed through the net if conditions are perfect (I have witnessed this myself).
I have used breeder boxes extensively for years in order to selectively breed my shrimp (and fish before that). I have found there is only one that I like...the Marina Breeder box. It comes in two sizes, and I prefer the larger. It is an external box with an internal air lift tube which draw water from the tank into the box and then overflows out. They are AWE SOME!
The only disadvantage I have found is that it prevents your tank lid from closing which cause evap and temp loss as well as exposing your tank to outside threats (ie dragon fly larva etc) through the now open tank top.
ALSO, very important for keeping shrimp in these specific breeder boxes...you MUST cut a piece of sponge in a square shape to perfect fit the overflow of the breeder box to ensure that the shrimp do not exit the box. The little "grate" they give you is not adequate for smaller shrimp.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Good thing the mesh nets were only a few bucks. I will look into the ones you suggested. Most of my tanks are open top so no lid issues how big are the "big ones". So you just do 1m 1f it multiples?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 PM
These pants? are fancy.

Here's a visual aide I crafted about 5 years ago, the features are exaggerated, but you get the point:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

For the hang in breeder box. Is anyone better than the others or are they all the same? Seems like marine land and finnex are the main two

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM
These pants? are fancy.

They're all basically the same. All made in the same factory in china

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode