Sulawesi shrimps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sulawesi shrimps

After yesterday's sharing pics of our CRS and TB, let me share some Sulawesi shrimp pictures today. We currently only have cardinal but will get to others soon.

First of all, it takes a while but it is possible to get them to eat man made food.

We do this by adding just one cherry in the tank as read on the web. Not sure that helped but our cardinals are very comfortable eating introduced food now. That cherry turned out to be a female and it actually got berried in the tank about two weeks in the tank ?! She kicked all the eggs eventually but we were really puzzled.

A berried female. Out of about 50 in a 7.9G Fluval Flora, we get 5 - 8 berried. Baby survival rate is still not very good but we've only started this 2 months ago, still learning.

In Asian, most people add a few elephant/rabbit snails in Sulawesi tank. It's said to help the shrimps in some way. We are not sure, but we thought it wouldn't hurt anyway. We put 2 in the tank in October last year, and already have over 6 babies from them. Here is a shot at feeding time. The cardinals are fighting food with the snails.

I think the name elephant snail fits better with these snails. What do you think?

I'll save some typing and just add some more pictures below.

Hope you enjoy these pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Beautiful shrimp. Great pics!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Very nice pictures and shrimps!

The thing to watch with Tylomelania and Sulawesi shrimps, is that if a large snail or two dies it can lead to an ammonia spike. I keep smaller Tylos in my Cardinal tanks to avoid this, and I keep a close eye on them.

I have also been able to get my Cardinals to take prepared foods. I started by grinding Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and adding it as a powder mixed with Shirakura. Now they come and get the pellets.

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Great photos and shrimp! Cardinals are awesome shrimp and extremely rewarding. Enjoy!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
very beautiful and very jealous ^^
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is it easy to breed the snails?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You mossn't be so rude!!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpzoo View Post
Is it easy to breed the snails?
It's pretty easy to us. In our Sulawesi tank (27-29 C), one baby comes out from each adult on average, in the unheated tank (18-19 C), 1 or 2 babies so far in the last two months. They can eat a lot so be prepared ;-)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Making me tempted to breed sulawesi shrimp and snails now lol (:

I've started getting bored of crystals and my substrate is going to expire soon ;/ looking towards neos or sulawesi.

is shrimpwiki going to hold sulawesi shrimp and snails in sale stock in the near future?

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

Awesome! What kind of rocks you got in there?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonnoodle View Post
Awesome! What kind of rocks you got in there?
Those are the dead coral people normally put in saltwater tank. It's pretty cheap for scaping (I got them for like $1/lb) and perfect for Sulawesi and Opae Ula tanks to increase GH/KH/TDS.

Here is my tank of Opae Ula scaped with dead coral rocks. The green stuff (some kind of algae?!) on them make them look even better.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Planted Member

Beautiful!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 AM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
Those are the dead coral people normally put in saltwater tank. It's pretty cheap for scaping (I got them for like $1/lb) and perfect for Sulawesi and Opae Ula tanks to increase GH/KH/TDS.

Here is my tank of Opae Ula scaped with dead coral rocks. The green stuff (some kind of algae?!) on them make them look even better.

Very pretty , looks like beach rubble with marine shrimps.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post

That is beautiful! I am setting up an Opae Ula tank right now. How long did you cycle your tank before the coral got that green and what substrate are you using? Many thanks!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibird View Post
That is beautiful! I am setting up an Opae Ula tank right now. How long did you cycle your tank before the coral got that green and what substrate are you using? Many thanks!
I did a lot of research before getting Opae Ula, a few things I learned from online readying,

1. Salinity is key to acclimation. I decided to go with 1.008 and it worked well. I think 1.008-1.012 would be good starting point. If you want to save the hassles, I use instant ocean which works well for me. This article is pretty good for hobbyists wanting to start this shrimp. It's worth reading.

2. I didn't cycle the tank as long as I would've wanted to. This was due to the supplier's recommendation to avoid shipping after November (although they do ship year round). IIRC, I only cycled the 23G tank for 2 weeks. I did use some shrimp tank setup bacteria. I'm pretty sure the tank wasn't 100% cycled but I only lost like 5 so far, including 2 died in the bags (got 1100 to 1200 of them).

3. It's a 23G with footprint of 24"x15", I use double T5HO. The additional dead coral rocks were introduce in December (after the shrimps were in the tank for about a month), the green algae grew to like the picture in less than a month.

I have to say this shrimp is the toughest I've seen. It's next to impossible to kill them.

This is what they looked like a few days in the tank. I did start with some dead coral rocks but added more after a month since they looked nice in the tank.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Lovely Sulawesi Cardinal shrimps pictures! Mine are thriving for me. Might upload some of my own once the population has doubled more until I can see many many of them. They are a bit shy and back away, hide when someone gets near them, but they are starting to come out more than that the population is bigger. Anyhow nice pics.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode