Price check on: CRS German k14 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Price check on: CRS German k14

I can't find much info about these and idk why they are called german k14 shrimps. Are they just crs but with better grading?
What's the price range for the higher grade german k14 aka "smiley"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	260466  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Saw a documentary with Chris lukhaup where he mentioned Germans didn't like grading shrimps ss and SSS cause it sounds silly or something, hence the "k" can anyone else confirm or correct this lol
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)
The "K" value is just a different way of grading. It is comparable to the A-sss+ way of grading. That's the way I understand it. Here's a chart showing the comparison

http://www.crusta-fauna.org/dossiers...grade-des-bee/

K-14 are sweet looking shrimp. I would love to get some shrimp that smile back at me all day long. There is a local seller here in the bay area that sells them on CL

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here is another link, translated from German
http://translate.google.com/translat...e/aussehen.htm

In short, K14 is equivalent to SSS+ (flower head, thunderbolt, worm, whatever you call it).

I personally don't like S nor K grading, it's more patterning than grading to me. I think the quality, rather than pattern, is more important in grading. However, I do agree quality is hard to "grade" thus the patterning rules in some parts of the world.

Here is one of mine.

I do have some that has even smaller red marking on head, but don't have pictures handy.

And a lot people can't see the "flower", this one is as good as I can come up with. Can you imagine a flower from that red marking?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
grading and price of shrimp involves multiple parts.

one thing is the pattern.
next is the quality of color.

just because somebody calls it a k14 or SSS+ or whatever doesnt mean it commands a higher price. you might have the right pattern but your color quality is crap.
I feel color quality is equally important if not more important these days or PRL and ultra high quality shrimp.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks I will have to agree about the color quality. I'm just making sure what german k14 were before I decide to buy them. They the guy selling them are really expensive!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieeex3 View Post
Thanks I will have to agree about the color quality. I'm just making sure what german k14 were before I decide to buy them. They the guy selling them are really expensive!
what's really expensive to you?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
dukeandthebreas keeps them. K14 are SSS+, but are about the pattern in the smiley face. Which is seen very few. I have heard they breed pretty true

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
price will also depend on if they are imported or tank breed. and yes they can go in to the $20 + range per shrimp if i remember right. but that might have been for the german imports
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 PM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
14-20$ is what i have seen

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Banned

$14-20 is actually pretty cheap if they are great quality.

when Charlieeex3 said expensive, I was thinking $200+ range.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Hey! That's my pix!

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Little background on the shrimp that I was selling pictured by the OP: Those were imported from Germany and were said to breed 98% true. I never bred them myself because every shrimp I brought in was sold off and I never brought anymore in after that because of their ridiculously high price tag. This was well before any PRL came onto the US market. Honestly they still needed alot of work because if I was to compare those same shrimp with some of the shrimp I have now from other sources, those shrimp are lower in quality if we're talking solidness of colors. As far as pattern goes, they are superb and can't be beat however. My input.

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (110/100%)
I have had a very low baby survival rate 1 in 50 would make it past 2-3 weeks, adults lived fine and females were perpetually berried. about a month and a half ago I switched them to the azoo plant bed substrate, and they are doing way better out of 500+ babies I saw before they died In the old tank, only 1 was not a SSS+ grade. I currently have about 50 that are a month old, and they seem to be doing great (fingers crossed). As for the coloring, the white is definitely not as crisp as prl.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode