Another neon tetra and cherry? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another neon tetra and cherry?

I'm deciding to put 12 neon tetras in my 17g. I have about 40 RCS that are 1/2" to 3/4", they should be safe, right? I'm kinda sacrificing the total survival of the baby shrimp when they breed. What do you think? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You either have a fish tank or a shrimp tank. The whole point of Baby Shrimp is to replace the adults when they die. Also Fish tend to bite things that twitch and move. So, They like to bite the tails, Legs, and antenna off your shrimp. Somethings to think about.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have blue shrimp in my community tank with guppies, neons and more... Still see couple weeks old baby shrimps playing around out of nowhere.. guess they were hiding all this time when they were smaller. So it's possible. Number of your shrimps will grow slowly but surely ^^ Just make sure have plenty of hiding spots.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I know the downside of fish and shrimp mix, shrimp won't be as populated. If it's just me, I would just leave it as shrimp tank. My daughter keeps asking for the neons she sees at petsmart, it's her tank to see after all.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a heavily planted refugium with RCS and neon tetras. The area for the fish and plants takes up about half a 55 gallon tank. The water is not quite to the top, so call it 20 gallons.

The neons and the adults ignore each other. I know the neons go after babies, because I've seen it. However, it's rare. Most of the time, there are babies all over the biofilm on the walls, and the tetras ignore them. But, they definitely eat some.

I've read of others who have had a terrible time. I think lots of cover and fish personality are both big factors.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
I know the downside of fish and shrimp mix, shrimp won't be as populated. If it's just me, I would just leave it as shrimp tank. My daughter keeps asking for the neons she sees at petsmart, it's her tank to see after all.
if the tank is for her, i say do it. since shrimps arent important to you or your daughter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianzh View Post
if the tank is for her, i say do it. since shrimps arent important to you or your daughter.
I like the shrimp only tank and it's set up for that. I'm sure she loves the shrimp as well, as the make her smile when they hop around, she just likes them with fishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljapa View Post
I have a heavily planted refugium with RCS and neon tetras. The area for the fish and plants takes up about half a 55 gallon tank. The water is not quite to the top, so call it 20 gallons.

The neons and the adults ignore each other. I know the neons go after babies, because I've seen it. However, it's rare. Most of the time, there are babies all over the biofilm on the walls, and the tetras ignore them. But, they definitely eat some.

I've read of others who have had a terrible time. I think lots of cover and fish personality are both big factors.
With many RCS and many babies, some will survive, at least the neon will have live food every once in a while.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)
I have a ten gallon tank with both neon tetras and rcs. The shrimp do just fine in it. Population overload! I've never seen one of my tetras eat a rcs but wouldn't be surprised if they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode