Snails? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snails?

I have pond snails and I think they're reproducing faster than what I wanted to, but that's okay, I can pick them off when needed. My question, will they contribute a lot as far as nitrate into the tank? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
If they're reproducing faster than you thought, that means you already have something in your tank that would be producing ammonia if the snails aren't eating it fast enough. It could be over-feeding, dead plant, or dead animals. There may be other reasons pond snails are having a population explosion, but those are my guesses. If you don't find somethig dead, then feed less.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love pond snails in my shrimp tank. I crush one or two once in a while and shrimps love the treat.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
It's been my experience with pond snails that they'll go thru a population boom when first introduced to a tank even in the face of fairly limited food. Even if you aren't over-feeding (it's happened in tank swhere I haven't been feeding at all), there's always food in a planted tank in the form of decaying plant material.

If you want to keep some in your tank, but limit their numbers, leave a few mature snails and concentrate your efforts on manually removing the smaller ones. Whether it's a hormonal inhbitor, slower reproduction rates in older adults or a few big ones out-compete hordes of small ones, I've consistently had better results this way.

Last edited by Knotyoureality; 01-13-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: gharble
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alright that sounds good. They only showed up two weeks ago and they grow so fast, I only have shrimp so there's algae for shrimp and snails. I'll keep them in check, I'll just feel bad when I had to flush few of them, I suppose I can crush them and become shrimp food also.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode