just got blue rili's - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question just got blue rili's

When I win shrimp I never test the water that the come in but for some reason this time I did. Because they were trapped in a bag for a few days i expected the ammonia would be elevated. I was quite surprised to see the nitrates to be in the 80-160 range; Closer to 160 I would say. PH was basically the same as mine 7.6 ish and the ammonia was 1ppm.
I was shocked to see the nitrates THAT high.
So my question is what are the chances they will survive after being exposed to those extremes?
I floated them in my tank for about 2hours and used a pipette to add my tank water to the bag every 20 minutes or so. I also added a couple drops of prime to the bag, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. I also fed everyone and they had good appetites. So far this morning they are all present and accounted for and VERY active. Is it normal for rilis to be more active than cherries?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
New shrimp always seem to be more hyper than normal. Mine were doing laps in their cd spindle for at least 1 hour while I ran a drip line to them.

I don't bother testing for nitrates/ammonia since the water will be disposed of.

The ones I brought back yesterday were in 2 separate bags 1100 & 1300 TDS. I think it was treated with methylene blue before they were bagged so that increased the numbers.

Also take some pictures of them in case they don't adjust to your tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Congrats on the new shrimp! I would say those nitrates are very high but then again i dont really test the water my shrimp get shipped in for nitrates, so who knows. It sounds like you did everthing right. A slow acclimation is always good, i know some people have luck just tossing them in the water but i always drip mine and have had good results. The fact that your PH was in line is good, do you know your GH, KH, and TDS??

From the sounds of it they are good if they are active and eating but definitely check those other params if you havent already

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Also take some pictures of them in case they don't adjust to your tank.
And because we love pictures
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My GH is high, we practically have rocks coming straight from the faucet. Lol. Its like 300.
Kh I'm not sure since I only have the test strips for that and we know how accurate they are. Not!
TDS in my tank was in the 300's and the TDS in their bag was 400.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
And because we love pictures

Lol, I'll try. Its a tiny tank chock full of plants. I'm waiting for my 5 gallon to finish cycling then they're going in there until I get an old 20 gallon from the attic cleaned up and ready to go. I know a lot of moving around but the tank they're in is pushing the capacity limit. My ultimate plan is to keep my tiny 2 gallon tanks with a pair of shrimp in each and hopefully they will start breeding. I want the rilis population to explode so my son can have blue shrimp in his 20 gallon tank . that tank seems to be a shrimp death trap. The TDS in that tank is CRAZY OUT OF CONTROL! Its like 2700. I vacuum it so I don't understand WHY its out of control. There's regular gravel with two large lava rocks (1 red and 1 black) with a piece of a branch that was sold as "driftwood". I never tested TDS until about two or three weeks ago. Once I did I figured that was why the shrimp kept dying. We are going to start doing water changes with distilled water until I can get that under control. We have guppies and endlers in that tank and they're doing well as far as we can tell.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If salt was being used in that tank that would explain the high TDS readings. Siphoning won't do much to remove salt, only massive water changes will work. However it will wreck havoc on all the inhabitants.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes!!! We used salt to treat multiple issues a while back. Ok, so massive water changes in its future. 50% a couple times a week until it gets in a normal range? Until then I will keep shrimp out of that tank.
I completely forgot about the salt!!!
Thank you!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I'm using salt to treat issues with shrimp/fish the closest the solution comes to the tank is when it's floating the container to match the tank temperature.

I've seen shrimp survive in tanks with 3000 TDS results for MONTHS.

I couldn't figure out why the readings were that high, but after talking to the owner & learning about the previous treatments done I attribute the high readings to addition of salt.
  • That's why I'll NEVER use salt to treat the water in my tank UNLESS I plan on removing/draining all of it even residual amounts of it will augment your TDS results.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode