How long does it take for biofilm to build up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long does it take for biofilm to build up?

I have a 6G topless edge that i'm currently doing the DSM on. I plan on flooding it in another week. The filter is a zoomed501 with lili pipes. I plan on filling it with cermamic rings from a higly stalked established tank(84G with 80+ tetras about 1.5 years old!)

This new tank will become a shrimp tank.. how ever i'm thinking of putting in 5-6 CPD for a few weeks until the tank has a chance to build up some bio-film (aka shrimp food) before i move in some sensitive shrimp.

I'm thinking of picking up some OEBTs tihs week when i'm out of town.. i'm hoping they will be fine with my CRS/CBS until the new tank is ready for them..

1. How long would it take the new tank to build up a layer of bio film?
2. will OEBT be fine with CRS/CBS for ___ time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
One factor is whether you have high or low light.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have a Finnex Planted+ which sits 6-8" from the substrate (Carpet of HC)
I havent fount the par data for it.. but basing it off the fuge ray im guessing 30-45 ish at the substrate.. so medium light?

Would adding more fish help up the process or is it more a bi product of light time and buildup.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Generally it takes about a month for biofilm to form on your surfaces in new tanks. Adding fishes and even snails would help but most importantly, make sure your tank is fully cycled before dropping your shrimp in.

Tiger shrimp will readily breed with you CRS. If you don't intend to have Tibee offspring, do not mix them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What would happen "if" they did mate? What would the offspring come out as (just Incase it happens). I could always just order them after but was avoiding excessive shipping charges

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
"What would happen "if" they did mate? "

You make TiBees. Some people are really into TiBs, some people aren't. They seem to be hard to come by right now.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That could work them. I'll just be sure to cull them into a diff tank "if" they happened to mate

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm guessing tibees are Crs/cbs with the tiger stripes? Should be easy to find if I have to

Tags
biofilm, oebt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode