Interesting looking shrimplet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Interesting looking shrimplet

I was finally lucky enough to have a ton of little shrimp lets hatch and so far it looks like they are all doing well. Today I noticed a really interesting looking one. Most of them have the red or black 2-3 bands like the parents this guy looks To be all white with a bunch of tiny black lines

I will try to snap some pics with the slr later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This shot he almost looks more transparent

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
That's called a golden

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Perfect thanks! I'll look them up. Is it best to let them breed with regular Crs or separate into another tank once he's bigger?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
its fine to keep it in the same tank. most crs and cbs have been crossed with goldens some where down their line and every now and then some pop up
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
These pants? are fancy.

It's fine to leave them together, only time you'd need to separate them is if you were working on selective breeding and didn't like the way Goldens look
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sounds good! thanks for the tips

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

one other question on shrimplets..

In my "pond" tank (aka a big tub) I have some CPD's and pumpkin shrimp.. a few of the shrimp are very dark and a few are very clear.

One of the shrimp is completely clear with white eye (pumpkins have black ones)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
if you could get a pic it would help. it could have been trying to molt so they eyes looked a bit different. i had wilds go clear to blind in so only think i could think of is something was mixed with the oranges... but for sure a pic of the ones in question will help alot if possible
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Interesting looking shrimplet

Not the best pic as he wouldn't stay still for 2 seconds .. But a cell phone snap

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Pretty much all "CRS/CBS/TB" have been crossed with goldens, TB I believe are in fact a mutation of goldens, as for other bees only PRL/PBL have never been crossed with goldens, which is how they have the "pure" in their name. You'll need a couple generations of hardcore culling to really get the golden genes out of CRS/CBS.

Everything, Nothing, Nothing, Everything
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 PM
These pants? are fancy.

White eyes are generally a sign that they're about to molt. If they stay white it's whole life (even after molting) it means the shrimp is blind.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
... If they stay white it's whole life (even after molting) it means the shrimp is blind.
This to my knowledge has been theory and never proven.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 AM
These pants? are fancy.

Simple eye anatomy proves that either they are 100% blind to light and shapes, or their eyesight is so restricted they can only tell light from dark. I don't know how much you know about how eyes work, but there is a very good reason that eyes are black (or at least dark). I'm guessing you are looking for some proof beyond common sense, and since shrimp cannot read back an eye chart, we will never know just how blind they are
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 AM

very cool! I hope I see stuff like this when I get my RCS tank up and running =)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode