painted back or not painted back that is the question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
painted back or not painted back that is the question

so after my other tank broke i had to find another. since i didnt want to buy a kit and spend $30, i dug around in storage and found one. its one i painted the back on a couple years ago. would you use a painted back tank for tb's or just see though and clear? oh fyi will be future home to blue bold and probably panda's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Black backgrounds are always nice. Let's everything really stand out
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

my tank is more of a dark navy blue lol. im wondering how well i will be able to see black shrimp on it though.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Back of my tank is black. I think it looks better. Cant see all my wires and hoses behind either.. also I dont have to clean the back of the tank.. nice.. to each his own tho..
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Algae Grower

I just use scrapbook paper.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I always paint my back black...gotta be able to see those shrimp and not some white drywall

Eheim Pimp Club #506
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't know what size tank your talking, wicca, but if on the smaller size, I would remove the paint and start over. Get a few different colored scrapbook colors, hold behind the tank filled with water, and see what looks best to you. Then repaint, or use paper. You can always change paper, but not so easy to change paint.

You are right, black on black or dark colored background will not show up nicely, especially with dark substrate. I recently just taped plain white copy paper behind a 5 gallon Rorschach guppy breeding tank because they did not show up well on clear glass, even with light colored paint behind it (creme colored). Now every little fry pops and stands out. I don't want to paint the tank because I may not always have blackish fish in it.

-Stef*
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
I always paint my back black...gotta be able to see those shrimp and not some white drywall
^This. I do it every single time as it does help hide the cords well. I've never kept tb's(not yet anyway) but the tanks I've seen here are very clean looking. But I would imagine black or dark blue wouldn't really matter either way as after a while bio-film/algae would cover the walls anyway so the shrimp would still be very visable.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

here is a trick for those that like to paint tanks. use latex/water based indoor house paint. when you want to remove put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and mist on the dried paint and it will turn to "rubber" and peal right off. i use acrylic wood paint and sponge brush for the back of my tanks. fast and water based. not hard to remove. its just a small tank so i might try it for a bit and see how it goes. its nothing to plastic wrap the tank and peal off paint if i dont like it or cant see the shrimp. im more to keep tanks open. never have used back grounds really. i tried 3 tanks with paint, black, navy, and bright blue. the navy is by far my favorite. black just sucks the light out of the tank, and bright blue was just to fake looking. ill post pics in a bit when i get the soil in it tonight. thanks for the thoughts all.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Black it. Makes colors pop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
All colors...but black, which is all colors
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

black does not make black shrimp pop it hides them. lol. i had that problem with my oebt. i had them on black sand and all i ever saw was orange eyes moving around lol. if im paying $25+ per shrimp i want to see the darn things lol. im not a fan of black on tanks. ive tried it. i do kinda like navy though so ill vacuum out the tank and get the soil in and post lol
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

25 each? Pricey little guys. Some pics of obet look almost black and some are light and vibrant.. Is that a difference in the grade or does it just depend on the source?

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

oebt dont breed true and i think it is also a source thing. alot have now bright blues. mine i had several shades of blue and some big black looking females that had a red/rust shade over the back of them. blue bolt and panda are still pretty costly for good quality.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Check this out
http://www.decorativefilm.com/catego...dow-films.aspx
I did that, it hides all the stuff in the back it lets some light I love it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode