Humane way to selectively breed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Humane way to selectively breed?

I've recieved a batch (About 20) cherry red shrimps, some really red, some not so red. They are a mix between painted fires and regular cherries

I'd like to breed these selectively picking out only the very red ones. What do you breeders do with the ones that you don't want to continue breeding?

I only have one tank. ONe idea was to feed the not so red ones to my betta, but my lady snapped right at me for even thinking of such a cruel idea... and I agree... somewhat.

So what do you breeders do to keep the regular cherries from diluting the red?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
jus that pick out the really red ones and put them in another tank to breed. some use breeder boxes but if your talking a whole group i would go with another tank. if you have more really red shrimp then just pull the ones with less red. keep in mind males tend to be more of a less red and some times kinda splotchy where as females in neo's will always be more colorful.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Cherries breed like crazy under good conditions so your options all come down to getting rid of the culls in one manner or another.

Really big breeders usually kill them. Smaller breeders likely toss 'em in a cull tank to live (or not), sell them off as culls, or use 'em as fish food.

My best cherries actually live in my community tank where they have the highest risk of being eaten (yeah, GBR for keeping me from being overrun with shrimplets!) and culls from there typically get tossed in any of a variety of tanks, including ones where they have a high chance of getting eaten (hello, lovely female endlers!). My "cull" tank churns the genes and occasionally tosses up a higher grade, or turns up a juvenile who colored up much more than expected w/ a bit of time--those get netted out and returned to the "good" tank to pad out the colony numbers.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
RAOK to somebody new to the hobby.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:29 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Maybe eat them
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Feed em to some other fish, throw em in some random tank, or deep fry that [censored][censored][censored][censored].
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I started putting my culls into a densely planted appisto tank. I figured they wouldn't last long and serve as a food source if anything. After a few months I thought they were all eaten, nope. They are all living in the blyxa and all the females are berried now. Not sure how the babies will fare but I'll continue to put my culls in this tank.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
RAOK to somebody new to the hobby.
I like this one
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 01:53 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
So, it sounds simple treating the pretty females special, or sending the ugly ones to purgatory. But how do you tell with males? One male could go through all your pretty princesses, but leave ugly babies behind.

How do you tell with males?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
When one crosses the line from hobbyist to breeder, be it shrimp, fish, cats or dogs, whatever, one should strive to breed the strongest example of that specie. Part of that comment to excellence is culling.

When I was breeding Angelfish, my Q.C. mgr. was an Oscar.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
When one crosses the line from hobbyist to breeder, be it shrimp, fish, cats or dogs, whatever, one should strive to breed the strongest example of that specie. Part of that comment to excellence is culling. ...
Never a truer statement made! If you chose to breed, breed for the absolute best example you can of the goal you wish to achieve. This will involve ruthless culling at times.

It helps if you know shrimp A) Do not have a brain, just a cluster of nerves, and B) Do not feel pain.

Choices:

1: Use as a garnish. Yes, our shrimp are edible.

2: Feed to other fish/turtles/herp/etc. Shrimp are lowest on the food chain and are very nutritious and can actually get other aquatics into breeding shape.

3: RAOK shrimp culls. You make new friends and help out someone who wants to try shrimping.

4: Use a cull tank. Problem then, is at some point you may have to get rid of excess there, too.

5: Use as fertilizer for plants. Aquarium water can also be used.

You get the idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had a painted fire red culling project tank, I can tell you it's a lot of work. Even I started with some pretty good specimen it was still a lot of work for these red cherry shrimps. The main problem is that if you missed one bad male, it's like 50 bad ones to cull in a month if you are lucky. So if culling is your goal, don't scape your tank too much so it's easy to spot the ones you want to cull.

I never feed my culls to fish, even though we have a few angel tanks and they'd love to eat them. I run a local shrimp club and there are always students or people with limited fund and wanting to try shrimps, they are where my shrimps go.

Let me post some of the results.....

And even though most were like above, be extra careful with this, I learned the hard way.

Those were good memory, some almost two years ago ;-) I eventually stopped the project because that one tank took too much of my time and I had 25 ;-)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Beautiful legs, Randy!

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode