CPO Temp and Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
CPO Temp and Questions

I'm getting some conflicting information on what temperatures to keep CPOs. What temperatures have you kept yours in and allowed them to breed?

Last edited by Chrisinator; 01-15-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: more questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
for a second, it peaked my interests to see that someone actually cared about the body temperature of a dwarf cray. LOL

I kept mine consistently at 75. lower temps inhibit breeding and their metabolism slows down quite a bit. I dont recommend keeping them in temps beyond 78...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I was more concerned if I'll need to get a heater for a Fluval Spec V that I'm setting up for my CPOs

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
You don't need a heater, i never used one and they got down to lower 60's in the winter.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)
I keep mine at 72 deg and they are constantly breeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mine breed pretty well in the summer (75-80), and have stopped breeding after temp dropped under 72. They are still pretty active and always try to catch the orange shrimps in the same tank. Oh, the fact the two big female managed to kill 2 male a month ago didn't help breeding either lol.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
Mine breed pretty well in the summer (75-80), and have stopped breeding after temp dropped under 72. They are still pretty active and always try to catch the orange shrimps in the same tank. Oh, the fact the two big female managed to kill 2 male a month ago didn't help breeding either lol.
"two big female managed to kill 2 male a month ago didn't help breeding either lol."

I was planning on getting a pair but because of reading this from so many people, opted not too.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
"two big female managed to kill 2 male a month ago didn't help breeding either lol."

I was planning on getting a pair but because of reading this from so many people, opted not too.
Hey, they are fun to watch and well worth the effort. If I'm serious about breeding them I would separate the berried female out in a breeder box. Most of my baby CPO won't grow bigger than 1/2" before getting caught by the big females... The orange neos in the same tank fair better because they are much smarter than baby CPOs ;-)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 AM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
Hey, they are fun to watch and well worth the effort. If I'm serious about breeding them I would separate the berried female out in a breeder box. Most of my baby CPO won't grow bigger than 1/2" before getting caught by the big females... The orange neos in the same tank fair better because they are much smarter than baby CPOs ;-)

I do not want to worry about the female killing the male and it does seem that this happens .

I might look at the orange Procambarus milleri which I have never seen for sale but read about them and heard not illegal to sell or buy.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plenty of Berrried Females at 64 Degrees . Gestation and growth rates may be slower at lower temperatures though . But the egg clutches seem really healthy . In nature most crays get the sperm packet in the fall and the eggs hatch in the cold water of spring
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
I do not want to worry about the female killing the male and it does seem that this happens .

I might look at the orange Procambarus milleri which I have never seen for sale but read about them and heard not illegal to sell or buy.
It's listed as an endangered species on the IUCN Red List. Perhaps that's a reason you've not seen it for sale.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
It's listed as an endangered species on the IUCN Red List. Perhaps that's a reason you've not seen it for sale.
Thanks did not know that.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you for the responses! I currently have 4 of the CPOs in my Fluval Spec V with Shells and PVCs as hiding spots. The temperature is around 70 degrees (room temp) and they seem to be doing well, a little sluggish though, so I may end up investing in a real heater later on.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Got a few more questions, I have about 6 seashells in the tank and would like to add more to increase the hiding spaces for babies in the future. Would I have too many if I added maybe 7-8 more smaller shells?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Too many?
Like, will it look bad with more? Or are you afraid of them dissolving in there?

I wouldn't be too worried, cpo are fine with many different parameters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode