Red Claw crab questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red Claw crab questions

I have 2 red claws in a 50g vivarium/swamp. It's only been set up for a week now, and have already witnessed them trampling small plants and uprooting them. But I had a crypt wendtii (my first aquatic to emerged transition plant) that was finally perking up and accepting life in the open air, woke up one morning and noticed that all but one of the leaves had been snipped off and now decorate the red claw pairs cave. Is this a common occurrence? I've never heard of them doing anything like this before. Will I have to remove them? (Hope not, had them both for over a year) I have tons of other plants in there and so far this is the only one they have bothered.

While I have y'all here… How many red claws can I put in this tank? There are TONS of hiding spots, and the soil is swampy so they can literally dig a hole anywhere and be fully submerged. Humidity is very high as well, this tank was not meant to be a red claw habitat but it worked out wonderfully.

Also, can I mix red claws and fiddler crabs?

Lastly, do I need a M:FF ratio?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Just to clarify, you mean red claw crabs, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yea, left the important part out lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red claw crabs will not allow a plant to live! I have had them shred rather large plants overnight. They even broke down plastic plants when I had them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's unfortunate lol. I hope it's a personality thing, they haven't done it to any other plants yet.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My red claw crabs tear up some plants and leave others alone. "Irish moss" seems to be their favourite. I had eleven crabs in my 45 gallon long tank and at least one of them has been murdered by a tank mate. I can't get a count on the rest because they hide so well. They dig long tunnels in the substrate and hide in them all day long.
A couple other RCC tidbits: They love to eat crickets, and they also like to eat maple leaves. Live otocinclus fish are also a favourite snack. You won't find many pond snails in a RCC tank. My crabs also snack on cladophora algae and driftwood. RCCs can swim vertically and THAT is a sight to see. Males will fight so be sure that they have a lot of space to stay away from each other. Learn to tell the difference between males and females and then try to buy mostly females. RCCs should be kept in a brackish tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
My red claw lived on fresh plants and cholla wood for almost 5 years

Hey,

Many people who keep them in more aquatic environments feed them shrimp pellets. I kept a single female RCC in a 5 gallon brackish water tank with numerous brackish water tolerant plants. She did not like the shrimp pellets. She ate fresh plants and the cholla wood with a weekly shrimp pellet eventually. She re-arranged her entire primarily aquatic tank until it was cholla wood and floating plants (the better to pull them into the cholla wood to eat). She did not care for java ferns and java moss/willow moss at all. She enjoyed "exploring" Japanese moss balls (sticking her claws in them), but did not eat them.
It seems most crabs, and def my RCC, re-arrange their environment as much as physically possible to suit THEIR needs. Which makes sense. They are smart and if you just let go and let them live the way they want (even if this means taking them out of a beautifully scaped paladium), chances are you will have some very happy and thus entertaining and long-lived crabs. But they HAVE to have brackish water of at least 1.005 spg. An escape-proof tank. And they can not be crowded. Mine enjoyed some bumble bee nerite snails as neighbors and that was it for a 5 gallon. Maybe two females in a 10 gallon.
She recently died after almost 5 years. I miss that little critter and her brain that could always outsmart me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode