RCS and water change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
RCS and water change?

I just red a post that they do drip during water change to slowly mix the water. Does this apply to RCS? I change 25% twice a week but I just take the water out and pump the water in, with proper temp, KH, GH but lower TDS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
OMG, I siphon out the water, add a little prime to room temperature tap water and pour it in.

I'll drip acclimate new shrimp, but honestly, if people saw me going to that much trouble over a tank at work, I'd be forced to get rid of it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Neos can handle faster changes. It's not about the speed you change the water it's if the parameters are matched. For my TBs, tibees, CRS/CBS and other I do slow drips. If your shrimp start swimming around like crazy and acting frantic (like they do when they are mating) then you aren't matching your params close enough and the changes are too quick. Size of the tank matters too as does the amount of water you change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
That's why I stick with shrimps that can live in my tap water. That's why I'm thrilled at the explosion of neos recently. It's just a shame I can only have one at a time.

Oh, and since you'd know, if I happened to have a green babaulti in this tank, I couldn't add super tigers? I know there are so many charts, but they seem to be saying green and tigers shouldn't be kept together.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by jrh; 01-06-2014 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

When I do 25% water change doing siphon and pump water back in a matter of few minutes, I see one or two that swims around. I try to match the water as close as I can. I'm just sticking with easy shrimp for now and not too much tinkering with water parameter until I'm experienced. Although I'm tempted to mix cherries, yellow and rili in one tank, just want see whats come out of it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I dont match exactly I simply siphon out 100% of the water and refill with pretty close temps, five gallon rcs mixed tank with about 30 shrimp and some shrimplets. they flop around on the substrate awaiting water, corals and marine shrimp do too lol
this is to show what they can handle, id never drip or take that much time even with my reef. it gets 100% as well. all small aquaria can handle full water changes, Ive done them on tanks older than most tanks of that size on the internet, hundreds of times per aquarium and as recently as last nite. or, you can drip slowly and carefully match all params, they'll take that as well. not stirring up the sandbed when pouring in new water in either system is the trick.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hey didnt you have another thread on water changes where bostoneric was against the full water change option>? this seems like a mirror thread

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Unless the livestocks require 100% water change or the water must be change because of toxic dumped, I wouldn't do it. No matter how much you match the water, it'll still alter the parameter if you do 100%, that's just me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
+1 No reason to do 100% water change, and put the livestock through "flopping" on the substrate..

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I cannot kill RCS if I tried, and I have many times, many ways. They are cockeroaches.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my tank has a reason, its not like most tanks. Mine has exceptional nitrate production due to age of sandbed and the extra export gets me the longest time in between changes... my tank is pump, heater and filter free it does benefit from the export.

The same has been said about large water changes in reefs, corals being more sensitive. turns out they adapt too, it all adapts to however you run your system. For many tanks large changes don't have to be ran if design is sufficient, and in many cases large wc correct parameter issues much safer than individual param dosing. It's an option to know how to wield in good aquarium practice imo

in the case of both these threads from Hunter, either way you change water has been shown to work on a very long term basis, pretty much cant go wrong. cherries are toughies

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode