squashing pond snails in the shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
squashing pond snails in the shrimp tank

There's a pond snail explosion in my little shrimp tank. So far the snails are teeny weeny and I'm temped to just squish them like I do in the fish tanks and then let the shrimp eat them. Just a few at a time to not foul the water. Any reason this is a bad idea for shrimp?

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I do it in mine but its only 2 or 3 a week.i don't think it's a good idea long term. You also release the eggs when you squash them. I have some snail in my angelfish tank and squash 5or6 a day in that tank. The angels eat the whole pile of mush as soon as I move my hand though. I would just pull them out if you have that many why take a chance?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
get an assassin snail or 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Play at the edge of your comfort zone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know that assassin snails eat other snails and not shrimp, but will they leave tiny shrimplets alone too?

Currently the new pond snails are really tiny - about 1 to 2 mm.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

i have assassins in my tank with shrimp. and have new baby blue velvets in the last month the shrimp count has more than doubled.
i really think the shrimp are to fast for them.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

i used to take a paper towel and gently wipe the glass clean of snails and trash the towel when i first noticed them getting out of hand. now i do nothing the assassin are doing the trick the glass is clean

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentypoundtabby View Post
I know that assassin snails eat other snails and not shrimp, but will they leave tiny shrimplets alone too?...
There's been some reports fro members of assassins taking down adult shrimp. Don't know about shrimplets.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I've never seen my assassins take down a shrimp of any size. That doesn't mean it never happens though
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)
I barely see my assassin so I can't say they will eat a shrimp. If the shrimp is not healthy, I bet the snail will eat it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had an Assassin take down a weak shrimp during acclimation. They'd come together, but packaged in separate bags, and I decided to see if it would work since I assumed the shrimp would be fast enough even in a small container (half gallon).

Only time I've seen it happen myself. I think I've read a couple other accounts in the forums, though, of Assassins nabbing shrimp. They don't seem to scavenge dead animals.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

I've had one of my assassin snails kill and eat one of my RCS. I removed them from the aquarium after that. I don't plan on putting them together again. Even though it was just one RCS it was still heartbreaking :/
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

I have ghost shrimp, a self maintaining colony of over 60 members split between adults and juveniles in a 10 gallon. The snails aren't bad for them at all. When the initial explosion got too gross, I gritted my teeth and started squishing away. The shrimp ate all with no leftovers. Now that I had to break down and clean the tank because of the build up of uneaten processed food, the snail population has been struggling to rebuild, especially now that the shrimps have learned how to hunt them on their own! It's fun watching them try to squeeze their faces into the snail shells to suck out the parts deepest in. They also will pick through the eggs for a snack.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
There's no way an assassin snail can catch a healthy shrimp. It would have to be chalked up to Darwin's theory for that shrimp to get eaten by one.

assassins are your best bet unless you want to keep pulling the pond snails out. Also a good help would be to always scrape the water line edge because thats where they like to lay their eggs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode