1st time Internet shrimp purchase, timing expectations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
1st time Internet shrimp purchase, timing expectations

I don't want to pre maturely bad mouth a shrimp business that's prominent on here, found their site because of tpt, so I'd like some input into how it works for shrimp trading. I'll wait longer if needed and typical for live animal trading. If I go to a website and order 10 shrimp on Thursday morning, pay for 2 day ship, when should I receive a tracking number and most importantly the package? No contact or reply to email sure sounds like a Monday answer to me... 2 has been doubled. has anyone else noticed the payment deduction mechanism is never slow or non functioning on Web transactions, the best explanations always apply to the fulfillment or communication side

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
shipping anything right now is going to be iffy at best. I have noticed a lot of places will only ship on Monday or Tuesday so it doesn't get held up over the weekend.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's fair. What I'd like to offer in place of no contact is some notification of that however , notice on the shipping page they do not ship after wednesdays, anything really. Maybe I missed the notice will go back and check.

the money Draft was definitely not held up, actually visa isn't cool with doing that but whatev I know good shrimp are coming.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Perhaps take a look on their website and see if they have a shipping section. I know of a plant site that I purchase from that specifies a cutoff date, and then a weekly ship date.

Know before you buy!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
How about a follow-up email right after placing the order asking when they will ship. Start the communication process and ask the seller up-front when you can expect to receive a tracking number. That's what I have always done with livestock purchases. This is also still the middle of the holiday season. People are still away from work and taking time off.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did email them off their Web page actually, yesterday. I'm not worried about getting stiffed they are too well known to do that. If I had to bet, I get them next Wednesday and this is simply how it works if you buy online from them during a holiday. The only part I have concern is how all the details apply to shipping lol, the holiday rush definitely didn't hold up the charge. That worked immediately. Oh well next wed some good shrimp are coming even if they won't return email.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Algae Grower

The important aspect of paying for the 2 day service is to minimize the time they spend in a bag, not the time it takes from payment to your door after all.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fair enough that you should have received some sort of email correspondence regarding your order. But you have to remember that you're not dealing with "amazon" or any other big company with many employees, you're dealing with, most likely, a run of the mill average Joe just trying to make a few bucks on some shrimp he's got. Two day refers to shipping , not how long it takes from placing your order to receiving it. Aside from not receiving an answer from the seller I think its commendable that weather is taken into account for the safe arrival of what you're spending your hard earned money on. Focus on the prize!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
I agree with you for the most part that an email confirmation acknowledging the purchase would be appropriate, and an explanation that the shrimp would not ship until a certain date. The fee for 2 day shipping should still apply tho unless the buyer prefers UPS Ground or Parcel Post.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All well said responses...also realize that "life happens"!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
also remember it is still "the hollidays" and depending on their weather they might hold it. most sites that i have seen shrimp first part of the week. if you dont hear anything monday i would email and ask them to hold them till after new years. things are also still blocked up on christmas shipping. i NEVER order anything live be it plants or critters from december till mid jan for the fact of mail rush. do keep us posted. 2 day shipping will also depend on if it is ups,fedex or usps. and that is from the day it is dropped of with who ever is delivering it not from when you put in your order.

personally i like to ship stuff out on saturday. i use the post office and only time i have ever had a prob is shipping to florida, that always takes a day longer than any where else. when i mail a package be it shrimp or fish i mail on saturday and 98% of the time its where it should be on monday. only a couple times has it not happened that way.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the tip I knew shrimpery had nuances lol they did email just now I bet things w be fine. First time shrimp order blues lol. In all these years I never ordered live coral either and have been limited to local only. .. Might be time to try some of that cali blue tort acro but clearly I'll wait till new year good idy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode