New Planted Shrimp Tank with C02? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Planted Shrimp Tank with C02?

So i havnt got a definitive answer on whether co2 is safe with shrimp.
I am planning on building a 20G long panted tank that i want to make a dwarf baby tear carpet with shrimp in it.
I know dwarf baby tears are hard to grow without co2?
Is it safe to have shrimp in the tank?
Thanks

3x10G Planted Shrimp Rack
30G PLanted Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I only have Red Cherry shrimp and they do fine with Co2. I have to keep levels in check but they tolerate it just fine. Cant speak for other types though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisxlency View Post
I only have Red Cherry shrimp and they do fine with Co2. I have to keep levels in check but they tolerate it just fine. Cant speak for other types though
Ok thanks
I have RCS now and i will transfer them into the new tank once it has cycled.

What about other types of shrimp?
Anyone?

30G PLanted Long

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
it can be done but the thing to keep in mind is it will take very little co2 to gas a shrimp so it take some fine tuning to get it right. if your new to co2 i would say not to use it with shrimp till you know what your doing for sure. the more sensitive the shrimp the easier it is going to be to gas it. co2 will also change the water parameters to that is something to keep a really close eye on too cause big swings in ph can kill shrimp. i would not use diy co2 because it can very so much minute to minute. most shrimp keepers here say its a no no but there are a few that say they have done it with more expensive shrimp but i personally have never tried because i dont have any high tech set ups i would rather just keep the shrimp and dont need co2 to have a beautiful planted tank for them to live in
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
it can be done but the thing to keep in mind is it will take very little co2 to gas a shrimp so it take some fine tuning to get it right. if your new to co2 i would say not to use it with shrimp till you know what your doing for sure. the more sensitive the shrimp the easier it is going to be to gas it. co2 will also change the water parameters to that is something to keep a really close eye on too cause big swings in ph can kill shrimp. i would not use diy co2 because it can very so much minute to minute. most shrimp keepers here say its a no no but there are a few that say they have done it with more expensive shrimp but i personally have never tried because i dont have any high tech set ups i would rather just keep the shrimp and dont need co2 to have a beautiful planted tank for them to live in
So is it possible to grow HC without Co2? I would love to see a nice HC carpet with shrimp on it.

30G PLanted Long
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Its possible to grow HC without CO2 but not easy and can take a long time without a high tech set up. I seen people set up pressurized CO2 and keep shrimp but like wicca said there is a really good chance of gasing expensive shrimp if you arent careful. pH fluctuations can easily kill sensitive shrimp. like most things in this hobby there isnt really a definite answer to some things. We are basing a lot of this information off our personal aquariums or what we have seen others accomplish.

Pat
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm using pressurrized Co2 in my 17g but I dialed it down to 1bps which turns the drop checker lime green after 3-4 hours. I think the plants have enough Co2 and the shrimps look happy. I also use glass diffuse but with just 1bps I don't get the 7up look.

Last edited by HUNTER; 12-28-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Edit
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Hc and glosso with no co2 or fert just ADA AS

Pic before hc filled in showing royal blue tigers, oebt and supreme red. If you dsm the hc it transitions really well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i had hc without co2. takes alot of light and i used jobes plant food spikes. i would cut a small slice off the end of a stick and quarter it. if/when the hc would start to yellow a bit i would just push another piece under the hc and it was good for quite a while before i would need to add more. the jobes plant food spikes are shrimp safe ived used with them every thing from cherry shrimp to crystal red, oebt, and red tiger. alot of people use the dry start method with hc as well so the shrimp dont pull it all up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode