Population problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Population problem

I have now found 4 berried cherry shrimp in my 5.5g and I am kinda worried . How many shrimp is ok to have in that size tank . As of right now I have about 15 shrimp .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've heard of people keeping 100 in a 10g. You may have to watch your water quality..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
How many you can have depends on a number of things like - filtration, feeding, how long the tank has been set up, how many plants or driftwood you have, etc. Just don't over feed! You can easily have 30+ shrimp in there if you do regular water changes and watch your params. Again though......just don't over feed.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
ha ha ha your fine i had upwards of 100 in a 5 gal before i started selling the crs i had. the main thing is keep up on water changes and you will have to feed more often to keep them happy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
I had over 250 in a 3 gallon, most were juvies so there was still room in the tank. You'll be fine. Rarely will you have 100% survival rates on babies too so keep that in mind as well. The 10 per gallon is just a very general rule...people easily have hundredS in 10 gallon tanks.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Like everyone said you should be fine but that also can be an excuse to start another shrimp tank.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Before you get a misconception, I'd like to make a distinction. Raising shrimp which are multiplying in a tank is not
the same as going out and buying say 100 RCS and putting them in a 5.5g tank.
As they have young and those grow up, the bio-load increases very slowly enabling the BB to keep pace/w the bio-load.
Not the case/w just dumping in a large number of adult shrimp.
Also this does apply. Once the tank is past about 120% stocking level it only takes a small mistake to kill every shrimp
in there.
I have a couple of ten G tanks. While I just had one it became overstocked like that/w RCS. They were doing just fine as
like I said the BB multiply as needed as the population slowly increased(started with 9). One day while I was feeding them
I started counting them once most crowded around the food. I counted 42 and you know that means 62 at least because of
how many are there that you can't see right now for plants etc.
I never tried to count them later but then FF about 2-3 months and one day I removed about 20% of the bio-media to
clean it off and forgot to put it back. The next morning everything was fine so I went to work. When I came home there were
about 30-40 dead shrimp on the bottom of the tank.
Keep a realistic amount and that won't happen. Or take your chances...your choice.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Raymond brings up a good point. The more shrimp you have, the more careful you have to be to make sure the bacteria is still active to take care of params.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

Eep, that amount of loss is horrifying for me to imagine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT89 View Post
Eep, that amount of loss is horrifying for me to imagine.
A hard lesson to learn for sure.
But at least it was $1.99 each or 6 for $10 RCS and not [email protected]$99 type.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

I haven't even graduated from Neos myself, yet. I'm not confident in my ability to provide stable parameters, but I'm still learning how to regulate water quality. On the other hand, I do have about 25 PFR in a 6gallon and they're doing great (I run it with an Aquaclear20 and 2 Hydor Koralia 240GPH powerheads, along with heavy planting).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
well my plants are outgrowing the tank so will be upgrading to a bigger one soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode