What food for breeding/good shells ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
What food for breeding/good shells ?

Not that I never intend to up-grade my food for these RCS that I have, but if a person didn't now have access to "shrimp food" which
common type fish food would supply the right things for their "shell" and breeding ?
I have a pellet type tropical fish food which is "Spirulina" enhanced but I had also use some "shrimp pellets" which are not shrimp food
but rather fish food which has shrimp in it. What caught my attention was that I recently bought a container of "carnivore" food(fish food
in pellet form) that is a Petco brand which I started feeding them and I noticed an increase in breeding from then on.
In one of my tanks which recently had issues/w BGA there is little for the shrimp to eat which is natural in there. I can tell the difference
between these shrimp and the ones in the other tank because these rush around looking for the food when I put some in there.
In the other tank they hardly notice that I have put food in there. So that older more mature tank has much more of their natural food.
Is there an ingredient that I could look for on the label of the food which would tell me that it is a good one ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Variety is the key so the shrimp can get what they need. I mix different food types meant for tropical fish. you can also buy food that is specifically made for dwarf shrimp.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The variety part I think I can do as I have a few different kinds of foods including one pellet form which contains
that spirulina stuff and two others which do also. Odd that they ignore the wafers which have it too.
The wafers are only 33% protine but6 the carnivore stuff is 48%.
I was really wondering if anyone knows what minerals they really need so I can make sure those are in what I have.
But thanks for the variety tip as that I already have. Not lots of but a few.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
This is meant for fish and shrimp farms but it may give you an idea of what you are looking for : http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/ab470e/ab470e06.htm
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpo View Post
This is meant for fish and shrimp farms but it may give you an idea of what you are looking for : http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/ab470e/ab470e06.htm
That's seriously in depth and I'll need to see if all/any of those minerals are listed on the ingredients list of the
various food which I have.
Thank you for this list/article.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Id like to weigh in on variety too, i also think it is very important. I think it generally shows them the abundance of food around and makes it seem secure enough for mating and a larger population to survive. I literally feed them everything. Blanched baby spinach and zucchini, new life spectrum pellet form, hikari sinking wafers. I also leave the left over molts for them to recycle, and... sometimes a dead shrimp if i find one. To this point, i am able to still get berried shrimp even though some will point out that they can feel the pressure changes in winter to slow down or even stop all together.

JAVA MOSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Melted; 12-28-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: More content
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melted View Post
Id like to weigh in on variety too, i also think it is very important. I think it generally shows them the abundance of food around and makes it seem secure enough for mating and a larger population to survive. I literally feed them everything. Blanched baby spinach and zucchini, new life spectrum pellet form, hikari sinking wafers. I also leave the left over molts for them to recycle, and... sometimes a dead shrimp if i find one. To this point, i am able to still get berried shrimp even though some will point out that they can feel the pressure changes in winter to slow down or even stop all together.
My population has slowed down a lot on breeding since about mid Nov. but no surprise as I redistributed some to a tank/w BGA.
This left the established tank lacking for adults though not 100%. As the BGA is finally gone this new colony has doubled in numbers but
not as I would like them to. Long history includes a mass killing of them by accidentally lowering the amount of media in the bio-filter.
As I raise Daphnia/Moina cepopods etc in there I designed a filter that don't. Really it has no pad/screen/sponge/floss...just bio-media.
That is so everything small including fish fry/shrimp babies can pass through. But it will get semi clogged from plant particles and such
so after taking out the top layer of the media I got distracted and forgot to replace it. Lost about 60% of them in one day.
The rest took months to start back to reproducing. But now the "other" reason for mentioning that. Ever since then most of the new
ones come out tiger striped because of large amounts of the red being missing. I picked out only adults which were red to move to
the new tank but all the babies so far are tiger striped. One even almost has no red. We'll see. But this is the reason I am asking
about the food so I'll know it's not a factor. I'll just have to cull to get back to red. Also they shut down on breeding after the last
batch of babies so a new food might jump start them.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dont know if this does anything, but as a calcium supplement for their shells, i have some crushed coral in both my filters on my 20g long. plus it adds to my pile of bio media in them. is culling essentially removing the less favourable ones so that the nicer ones are the only ones that mate?

JAVA MOSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
"...is culling essentially removing the less favourable ones so that the nicer ones are the only ones that mate? "

Yes.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Keep a tank for the culls, sell/trade them (as culls) or feed them to something else!

Or you can eat them. Seriously. Dried cherry shrimp are used in Asian/SEA cuisine as a flavoring/condiment, and they really make or break certain dishes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode