Sexing red cherry shrimp(let)? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sexing red cherry shrimp(let)?

i bought six RCS at LFS , they are around just under 1cm, 3 of them is clear and 3 of them bright red but one day later they are all fully bright red for some reason(actually why does that happen?), anyway i heard male is spotted with red or less bright etc but since now all my shrimp is fully red does that mean they are all female? but they dont have yellow spot or ovarie? or is it too early to tell at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower

Females are bigger, have larger tail carapaces (for holding eggs), and are more bright red. They also become "saddled" with eggs ready for fertilization, meaning the egg pouch becomes visible at the junction of the thorax and the tail, right where you'd imagine saddling a shrimp to ride it.

With that being said, juveniles are pretty much indistinguishable from one another, because they're still developing. Give it some more time.

And I hope my terminology was correct

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for answering, how long does it take to mature?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Females are bigger, have larger tail carapaces (for holding eggs), and are more bright red. They also become "saddled" with eggs ready for fertilization, meaning the egg pouch becomes visible at the junction of the thorax and the tail, right where you'd imagine saddling a shrimp to ride it.

With that being said, juveniles are pretty much indistinguishable from one another, because they're still developing. Give it some more time.

And I hope my terminology was correct
This is something that I've tried to figure also. But with adults and no luck yet. By "carapaces"... well let's say is it that some look like they have more of a "skirt" than others do ? Along the sides of the part past the "head" part ? As you can see I have neglected learning these
names. I do have several color "schemes" as a result of inbreeding from the original 9 which I got. One only is a very dull yet solid red.
Most of mine now have lost their complete red color(or have a lighter red down the back) and are a mixture of clear and red like it
was Tiger striped. And then there is this one which I have seen only the once that I took this picture.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im...y/pg_6849e.jpg

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
That white speckled one is awesome! Obviously a cherry, but never seen that pattern. I would definitely see if you could selectively breed for that and create a strain. May have some trouble since it looks like a male, but worth a shot.

"Tiger striped" red is a low grade cherry.

As far as male/female, here's a couple pics off the web. The female is football shaped, the male is more Nike swoop. Both pics have both sexes.

This is of tigers, but same idea:

Now cherries:

Also note the male is not as color developed as the female. This is often the case, but certainly not in all cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Finally...thank you.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

I thought I had just female shrimp in this particular tank of mine, but I saw the shrimp on the right today and now I think I might have a male in this tank. Sorry about the terrible phone pictures - the shrimp are never at the front of the tank when I have my canon SLR.
Is the smaller shrimp male, or is it too hard to tell?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp212252013.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	250601  

Name:	shrimp112252013.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	250609  

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks male to me. If it's that big and you don't see signs of a saddle in person, like the fem on the left, that pretty much is an easy way to distinguish difference.

and

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

This is probably the best indicator of the presence of male shrimp in this tank (a different tank than the one I posted above).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shrimppregnant1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	250769  

Attached Images

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

egg under belly definitely shows that you have both male and female ^_^ Congrats!!

"When the male finds the female they will breed. The male will deposit his sperm in the female. Once the sperm is deposited the female will pass her eggs threw the sperm on their way to the underside of her tail. The eggs are constantly fanned by the female's pleopods (swimming legs) to keep them oxygenated and clean. The fertilized eggs will remain under the females tail until they hatch."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Either I need to up-date my info or Ghost shrimp work differently ?
This IS a question, not a debate/criticizm so I hope it will be treated as such. I was told that shrimp automatically
get eggs when they molt and you can tell if they are fertile if/when they change colors(the eggs). Is this bogus info ?
I do remember seeing both green and yellow eggs under Ghost shrimp before.
Please, I can use all the education I can get on this one and have been following this thread in hopes thereof.
BTW right now I just have RCS.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Raymond. No flames from me, my friend.

The only time when you will see a female berried is when mated with a male.

The males have "access" to the female when they are saddled and after a molt because their shell is soft and not hardened yet.

Egg color means nothing in general, but is pretty to look at and speculate how far along berries are.

and

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Hi Raymond. No flames from me, my friend.

The only time when you will see a female berried is when mated with a male.

The males have "access" to the female when they are saddled and after a molt because their shell is soft and not hardened yet.

Egg color means nothing in general, but is pretty to look at and speculate how far along berries are.
Thank you. This will really help me to know what is going on in my tank and get rid of misconceptions.
No eggs = no males = no speculating...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Welllll.... that's if the males are doing their job. heh If the males don't mate, then you'll still see saddles but no berries.

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode