shrimp behaviour - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
shrimp behaviour

A few weeks ago a acquired some low grade cherry shrimp (red, sort of red and clear). I put some in a couple of my larger tanks with fish and the rest in a 2.5 gallon. Recently some of the shrimp in the 2.5 gallon have eggs under their tails. Everything seems normal in that tank.

I think the shrimp in the tanks with fish are all females. They are all larger and most, if not all, have developed saddles. In the last couple of days they've become very active. Either they are swimming around the tank or are constantly walking around the perimeter of the tank. They seem thicker/fatter in the back end even though they still have saddles and no eggs. They also fan underneath their back sides with their back legs.

I'm doing more water changes in these tanks since that's never a bad idea. Are they having some kind of trouble?

My water is soft. pH about 7.2 to 7.4. No ammonia, no nitrites, but I haven't checked nitrates recently.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
ph is a little high but not to worry for RCS. "dancing" is a good thing. means your shrimp are molting and ready to find a mate.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
ph is a little high but not to worry for RCS. "dancing" is a good thing. means your shrimp are molting and ready to find a mate.

You must have missed the part that said the ones in question were all females. And there is nothing high about that pH. 7.2-7.4 is pretty dang perfect for neos.

And OP too frequent of water changes can absolutely be a bad idea. We have no idea if you're matching params, temps, etc, how much your changing. Too much can cause mini cycles, changing it too often can lead to stress and death on the shrimp if the swings are too much for them.

Just sounds like your shrimp are being shrimp, I don't understand the concern. If shrimp aren't active and moving around the tank that's a problem. IF they are super active and dartinr or swimming towards the surface, that's a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
yeah because sexing shrimp is a perfect science.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The amount of water I change is not large at a time. Maybe 10 to 20 percent and I usually take hours adding water back after taking it out. I have some sensitive fish in the tanks.

I was concerned since the behavior was different than usual and I'm not too familiar with shrimp behavior yet. Normally I would see the shrimp slowly walking around or parked on a plant chomping on something they found, usually algae. Now they are constantly on the move. They aren't darting, but they are swimming around right in front of the fish.
I've noticed some molt since I've gotten them and they've grown considerably.

I'll just keep watching them and learn, but I do want to catch anything wrong before it becomes a disaster.

THanks very much!

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
its important to know that you can avoid mini cycles 100% of the time when changing water. dont ever let them seem unpredictable, ammonia is the most predictable compound we work with in aquaria.

there is only one aspect of changing water in aquaria, fresh or marine, that causes mini cycles and its the disturbance of large pockets of organic waste, thats it.

There is no aspect of water changes, even with the worst parameter matching, that will disturb your bacteria they are rock solid for whatever you throw at them just shy of dosing antibiotics.

if you pour your change water heavily and kick up a bunch of sand bed waste in a marine or fw planted tank, you can be suspending clouds of rotting protein that are in the ammonia stage and not fully oxidized. shy of that, no mini cycle.

I change 100% of the water in my shrimp tank, loosely matching params of basically temp and nothing else. your cherry shrimp are not particularly sensitive, its fish that you may have to delicately match params to please if you are doing large water changes. but insofar as a mini cycle, they are impossible to get if you change water correctly. to avoid them in my tank, I pour change water down a leg of driftwood to break up the fall

in my marine coral tank that gets full, never partial water changes, I pour across the top live rock area. marine tanks are infinitely more sensitive to mini cycles so you should have no trouble w fw planted. simply dont disturb the sandbed. the behavior you are describing is what my shrimp are doing right now, good activity, foraging etc.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon429 View Post

if you pour your change water heavily and kick up a bunch of sand bed waste in a marine or fw planted tank, you can be suspending clouds of rotting protein that are in the ammonia stage and not fully oxidized. shy of that, no mini cycle.

Exactly. And seeing as how no information was given about how the water was added back in, that's why I mentioned it. How deep are YOUR tanks? Mine are 8 inches or less. Even if I do a slow pour over my hand, it will kick up susbtrate and can cause a mini cycle. Rinsing sponges improperly can set off mini cycles. Though your post is good info you post thinking everyone does water changes, etc the same way and their tanks are the same. Too many factors you aren't considering.

I've done 100% daily water changes on a pregnant OEBT for 3 weeks. And no mini cycles, why? No substrate. Again, that was my particular situation. Does it apply here? No. I do 100% water changes on my betta tanks. Does it apply here? No. Each situation will be a little different so I try to avoid posts that are absolutes or blanket statements. My tanks are shallow, 8 inches or less. I slow drip water changes in over the course of 30 minute-hour depending on how much is changed. If I had deeper tanks and more gallons, I would drip water in more quickly. Again, those are just some of the factors one has to figure in.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

NM Double post!

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
yeah because sexing shrimp is a perfect science.

They are all larger and most, if not all, have developed saddles. I'm thinking if they are saddled they are females. And I would think if the only ones being active were only ones that didn't have developed saddles it would probably have been mentioned. Just guessing though!

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode