Just figured out why my RCS aren't breeding! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just figured out why my RCS aren't breeding!

Sooooo, I figured out why my Cherries aren't breeding, and probably the reason my new Multidentata always seems mildly annoyed.

My temp is too high! Checked it with the IR thermometer, and it's a whopping 88F!

The shrimp are doing fine, they just aren't breeding and were a little pale, I recently switched from using a 50w heater and a 100w Jaeger in my sump to the 100w Jaeger inline on the return, apparently that was way more efficient than I thought it was, so I'm going to recalibrate it and gradually lower the temp to 75 or so.

People are too often merely stating an assumed truth from flawed observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Most Krogers have Zataran's Crab Boil but you will need to get the water just a bit higher temp.
For what it's worth...when I first moved here(in exile in a third world country called Arkansaw...well they do sell
cast iron wood burning stoves a few miles from me...no joke) I had no air conditioning in my living room. Couldn't
afford two of them at that time. A couple of times I came home from work to find the temp at 97 on the wall
thermostat for the heater and the thermometer in the tank said 94. We all made it...but it wasn't anything nice.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ive got the same problem with my tanks. I keep mine at around 76-78 sometimes they jump down to 74 and one time around 88 such as yours! Thats why I picked up some little digital thermometers and just turn it on and check the temp everytime I feed my RCS.

Had to drop a couple ice cubes in there one time it was so hot lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Haha, in the summer the tanks (at least in my house) cool off really quick because the air is sooooooooooo dry. I loose about 2/3 gallon a day from my 20G out of the 12"x2" slot in the hood. Inside we keep our AC set to 87F during summer, and right now it's 71 inside (the heat hasn't come on in weeks).

It's hard to regulate temperatures, especially in "winter", because of the absolutely random weather!

I'm sorry that you've been banished to the wilderness Raymond.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It does have it's positive sides. I can see dear by driving just 5-7 minuits from my house and there are hundreds of miles of dirt roads here if that sort of thing turns you on. I finally saw the tail end of a bear going into the brush while driving on one a couple of
months ago. Interesting to know that in the same woods where I "collect" for my tank(drift wood/rocks/minnows) that at most
any time a wild bear might be watching me. See what you are missing ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
I keep my PFR at 72 degrees and they breed like cockroaches.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Dropped it to 74.5F and holding there, there's definitely an increase in activity and much more eating going on.

The Multidentata is finally eating algae and such with gusto. I was sure *she* had jumped out of the tank, but there's clearly some incredibly obscure hiding place in my tank that I have no hope of ever seeing with my own eyes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode