Past/present Fluval Ebi owners please give your opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question Past/present Fluval Ebi owners please give your opinions

I was wondering what everyone thought of these set-ups and had a few specific questions. I have read some feedback on this site and amazon.

My main concern is the filter. it has some rather scathing reviews on amazon, has anyone had good experiences, or simple mods that make it work fine?

What worked best for securing the backing to the tank? I see it pops right off from the factory so Im wondering what is my best option to re-secure it. I do like the idea of shrimp being able to climb all over it as a great view space.

Any other thoughts/comments would be appreciated, thanks!

PS, anyone want to sell one? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have the Ebi and like it. Iused the stick filter and added floss to the intake so shrimp woukdnt get sucked in. I had problems with the filter in that it was noisy with sir bubbles. I corrected that by lettings it sit in the tank a few minutes before plugging back in. The housing to the impeller can be tricky and make noise or stop it from turning. I also had shrimp get stuck behind it and between the tank wall. Eventually I replaced it with a Finnex px 360. I also upgraded the light recently to the 26 watt finnex cfl bulb.

I never had problems with my background popping off.

I like the tank, the associated equipment is ok to get you started, but upgrades will make it better.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CLUB MEMBER!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:47 PM
CPD
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had to upgrade too. The light is strong enough only to grow low light plants, the filter broke down after I modded the intake with filter floss so I just ended up getting a sponge filter which has worked great for my crs only shrimp tank. The soil has had good buffering capacity but I also learned along the way that R/O water will make it last a lot longer. The net I absolutely love and my shrimp keep reproducing so they like it too. All in all its a good beginner tank and with some upgrades can bridge an individual into starting to keep some pickier shrimp species.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
My net broke immediately. I also added a second bag of the substrate for a deeper bed. One bag didn't quiet cover sufficiently for my tastes.

CLUB MEMBER!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)
I had an ebi setup for a little bit and liked it. I had no issues with the backround, right out of the box I made sure it was relatively secure, which it was. It never did pop off. The filter is OK. More trouble than it's worth, though. It takes up valuable room and isn't that high quality; I swapped it for an eheim 2213. The tank only comes with a single light, which works fine for moss/lower light plants as long as the tank it kept trimmed to allow light penetration. I actually had 3 of the fluval lights on mine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
My back ground did pop off after about 4 months, but it happened when I was switching out the light for a led fixture, the filter works ok, could be better could be worse. If I were to get another one I would take the background off, I like the extra room, I would stick with the filter or just do a sponge filter and I would definately replace the light, I refuse to pay 9 dollars for the bulb or going through the hassle of getting the collar off the current bulb and do all you need to do to use a cheap bulb, I got the aquatop type p led from truaqua for 50 bucks very happy with it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for digging up and replying to this guys

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode