Slow shrimp deaths since intro to new setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Slow shrimp deaths since intro to new setup

I setup a 10g metaframe a few months back cycling using aqua soil. I resealed the tank with aquarium grade silicone and glass covering the slate bottom. I even siliconed heavily around the top edges so that no metal from the frame is touching water. So I'd say I'm safe to rule out metal contamination. Anyone know if this could be a problem? I believe its only stainless steel anyway.

I have CRS and Cherry/Rilli's(that was a newb accident) shrimp breeding and doing great in a 20L for the past 5 months. They are not handling the transition well since I moved them two weeks ago to a new setup. The only difference is smaller gallonage and a sponge instead of canister. I have had almost all the cherry/rilli mixes drop eggs and die. I have lost 4 of 30 CRS and almost lost 1 of the 2 king kongs. I noticed him laying on his side and seemed paralyzed. I did a big water change, used prime to detoxify incase of any ammonia and kept flipping him over gently. He actually bounced back and is alive now 5 days later and eating! My ammonia test kit is brand new and reading 0 so I really don't think it's ammonia. I have done some water changes each day now since I had several die a few days in a row.

Now this is where I think I went wrong. I treated some floaters with algae fix in a separate container. I rinsed and soaked for a day in fresh water then added to the tank. I'm scared this could be my problem, maybe it leached into the tank. I also treated the tank while cycling with algae fix since my moss had spirogyra. The tank had several large water changes prior to any introduction I really felt confident that it was out of the system. It seems likely that the plants are absorbing the chemicals, then release it at any given point down the road. Maybe the shrimp are eating plants contaminated with it as well. Or could it be from a very small ammonia spike that's not really registering on the test kit since I added shrimp therefore increasing the bioload. Currently the shrimp are not very active, they aren't swarming food like they used to, they don't like the tank lights so I have kept them very dim.
Also, do shrimp actually die from over eating or is that statement in regards to excess ammonia in the water that excess food creates? Maybe I could be feeding too much? 5 times a week. Jakes omnom, organic blanched spinach, shrimp cuisine.

Tank Stats:

10g meta cycled with aqua soil and a sponge filter.
Mosses, blyxa and s.repens for plants.
Kh-0
GH-4-5
SaltyShrimp GH+ with aged tap water(tap TDS 60)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate- very low less than 5ppm at any given time
Temp 72-73
TDS 200-225 they all did just fine with a TDS range of 200-250. I had 3 berried CRS hatch offspring months before moving to new setup. And every rilli/cherry female was berried during the move. I had no deaths in the other tank except one stunted king kong that for months would not grow or seem to eat much.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
One more thing. Not sure if this helps identify anything but the CRS who have died turned almost pink. The white even turned that pink color.

Last edited by Fiftymeatballs; 12-21-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Not that anyone read this whole post but if you do come across this thread and read all the way through. Turns out my PH crashed to the 4's
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Sorry no one responded. That is quite the pH crash. How did it turn out?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Got Shrimp?

PTrader: (111/100%)
Do to the kh being at zero not having any buffering qualities. At least you found the culprit! Now should be smooth sailing :-)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode