TDS in RCS only tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
TDS in RCS only tank...

How much should it be monitored?
I bought a meter and getting readings in 500 and 600ppm range. Not sure how much I need to worry myself with this now too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
RCS are pretty hardy, but 600 seems high... Did you do a water change in a while?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Don't even worry about it with RCS, 600 is nothing. Too many people on here seem to buy TDS meters and obsess about TDS readings for no good reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Don't even worry about it with RCS, 600 is nothing. Too many people on here seem to buy TDS meters and obsess about TDS readings for no good reason.
They are 100% necessary if keeping anything beyond RCS and helpful with RCS as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
They are 100% necessary if keeping anything beyond RCS and helpful with RCS as well.
That's just like, your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by just5398 View Post
How much should it be monitored?
I bought a meter and getting readings in 500 and 600ppm range. Not sure how much I need to worry myself with this now too.
This link shows the ideal TDS of common shrimp species http://shrimpkeeping.com/water-params/
Your shrimp will appreciate proper TDS readings.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did a water change a few days ago. About 20%. I have high pH 7.6 - 7.8 range with very hard water.

IF I was to alter my parameters ; lower pH etc.; how do you keep them stable if I wanted to keep other types of shrimp? Water out of the tap here is hard so Id have to use distilled or RO water and remineralize. I don't intend to do this any time soon as I'm having a hard time keeping blue velvets alive but I was just curious how one goes about it generally.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Peat moss, leaves and driftwood help at some degree but it is better not to get any shrimp species that will not tolerate your water parameters until you get the right means of providing their requirements.

Last edited by shrimpo; 12-21-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Personally I wouldn't worry much about tds with cherry shrimp.

Many people swear by tds readings for keeping crystal reds or taiwan bees, anything that is a bit more sensitive. Some people are quite successful without ever having a tds meter. A lot depends on your water, your ph, gh, and kh. If these things are not in line tds doesn't really matter (though it is related).

Tds is a great tool, and helps you get an idea of how your water is. The problem with tds is it doesn't tell you WHAT solids are in the water. This means your tds measurement can be perfect, but your shrimp will die if those solids aren't the right ones. This is why many people use ro water with something like salty shrimp, so they know exactly what the tds consists of.

Your tds is likely too high for crystals if that is your tap water. In fact you might want to look into a water softening system for your tap lol.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I keep this link in my favorites http://shrimpkeeping.com/?attachment_id=115 which is exactly what shrimpo is leading you too.
I just started cherries, without a TDS. I'm new to this, so I'm working with other params. first, like keeping gH above 4 (i have incredibly soft water)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoscia View Post
I keep this link in my favorites http://shrimpkeeping.com/?attachment_id=115 which is exactly what shrimpo is leading you too.
I just started cherries, without a TDS. I'm new to this, so I'm working with other params. first, like keeping gH above 4 (i have incredibly soft water)
I have the same issue with regards to water, incredibly soft here. No issues yet, but I purchased a tds meter today. Even though one of my females is berried, I still want to make sure the params are as good as I can get them. Most water in our state is generally very soft. The source for most of the state is soft with a 6.8 ph. They jack it way up at the treatment plants (here it goes through triple sand filtration). Not many states get good water like this, but it does vary, mainly due to road salt runoff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode