Wish Me Luck! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wish Me Luck!

Allright so I am looking all over the place for shrimp. Ebay, AquaBid, online retailers etc. There is a seller on Aquabid that looked to have a strong reputation and a online store. None of the shrimp I wanted were on Aquabid but available with the online store. Temps were forecast to be worm for the in the coming days so I went ahead and placed the order paying through Paypal. Three days latter I didn't get a order acknowledgement, tracking number, or the shrimp so I emailed the two addresses listed with Paypal. 24 hours later with no response I opened a dispute in Paypal stating I am concerned and just want some feedback on what is going on. Seller finanlly emailed me back all huffy saying it was my fault for not communicating and saying won't ship unless I close the dispute to release funds. I contacted Paypal to ask wheat happens if I close or escalate to get my funds back. I was trying to be reasonable about the situation and despite seller responding very rudely give them the chance to make it right. Paypal informed me because it was a live animal they won't cover if I escalate for a refund and suggested I contact my bank. My bank said since I did authorize the transaction they won't make attempts to recover either. So I said I will trust they will get shipped and closed the dispute. Seller said they would ship tomorrow for me to get Monday. I am not holding my breath. If I do get them I will update here, but rest assured I will never buy from that seller again.

I know reviews are not allowed here, but I feel I am OK with this post since I did not mention the Seller by name, species of shrimp, prices, or locations. I thought a bad experience as this would be valuable to the community and those that would like to know the seller identity to avoid a similar experience can ask me via PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Sorry for your sour experience with Shrimp shopping. I have found TPT community to be awesome whether you are seeking input or aquarium items to buy/sell/trade/give away. Visit the For Sale/Trade and WTB/RAOK forums. BTW, I have a $25 RAOK (Random Act of kindness) drawing signup going right now. Check it out.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

What I understand with aquabid, you need to contact seller or him contacting you within three days after you buy or win a bid. I buy regularly from the site, never had a problem. I'm sure youll get the shipment.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've had issue with one seller to date on Aquabid. All others have been great. I tend to be a repeat customer with the ones that make me happy. I normally ask for an invoice before I pay - the one seller I've had issues with, I wanted the shrimp asap and did what you did... and he delayed for about 2.5 months before sending my shrimp.

Granted, the shrimp were great when they arrived. On the other hand, I waited two weeks before any acknowledgement of the order and then got a load of bull (claims that he had sent an email about the shrimp being backordered, and that he was getting another shipment "any time").

Another thing to be aware of is that a lot of the bigger sellers are importing these shrimp and then repackaging for shipping to you. I would definitely go with Planted Tank sellers since most are more responsive, and a higher proportion breed their own shrimp.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is something I might have to explore. LFS doesn't have any shrimp what so ever. A local seller was selling RCS $1 a piece on CL is how I got started. They are fun to watch and add a nice color contrast in my planted tank I love. I set up another aquarium just for another color variety. Reading through these forums I did find a place to order plants at a reasonable price and the quality I got I thought was great. Thank you all for your support. I will update Monday to see if the seller honored their word.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

When buying on aquabid, you need to send email to the seller before buying and after you bought it. I dislike aqua because they offer no protection or anything even tho I bought a few time there.

Ps: why did you opened a dispute that early? Maybe at least 7-14 days later?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Concerned over live animal. 3 days no confirmation, no shrimp, and no contact from the seller inside of 24 hours of emailing for an update. I thought it prudent to protect my funds in case shrimp shipped and they arrived dead being in a bag for 7 days or something happened to the seller since the seller wasn't communicating with me. I would have been completely ok if I would have gotten a response back or if he would have emailed me right away giving me a reason for the delay. I feel if one is operating a webstore they should update the customer accordingly or at least respond in 24 hours. I didn't buy through aquabid since the shrimp the seller had on their webstore I did not see up for auction. But the seller did have positive reviews there.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Ya you really need to communicate with sellers on Aquabid, message before and after you buy anything just to see how their response time is. I stupidly just bought a bunch of crs a week after black friday on aqua, a 2 day priority got held up for a week and half showed up dead in cold water. So in my opinion this is the worst month to receive a package on time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And the drama continues. He did send me a tracking number Saturday and said he sent to closest Postal Emporium hold for pick up rather then the shipping address I gave him and is listed with my PayPal. To late to do anything at that time since he already shipped by the time I got email. So I am monitoring tracking and calling Post Office numbers to find location since I was told it was to be held for pick up but says out for delivery. When I pull up the tracking number it doesn't give me specific details, but the Post Office pulled it up and told me the only label information it has is the street name and city, state, zip. It didn't show my name or building number. The nice guy at the Post Office took my number down and he said he will track down further and call me where to go pick it up. What a pain! With any luck later today I will post pictures of the little guys in their new home.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All is well. The seller did a great job of packing for winter and the shrimp were good size and color. Here is a couple pics. As far as the Post Office, they can learn a thing or two from UPS and FedEx. The seller did have everything on the label right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acclimation.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	250057  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Girl.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	719.7 KB
ID:	250065  

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

I hope they arrive in good shape.

I have only a few shrimp left from aqua bid, sadly I think it's me killing them. I'm about ready to throw in the towel!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
Looking good! Glad things worked out for you in the end.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
the fact you ordered from their web site and not an auction on aquabid is no fault of ab, with that said it is the hollidays and some times it takes a while to get back with some one. im glad they came in well, are they yellows or whites? my laptop does not always show true colors lol. glad it worked out in the long run and hope you do well with them
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like yellows.

After talking with the OP, I realized that it was the same seller I mentioned in my anecdote.

He does sell good product, but the evasiveness and poor communication with the buyer seems to be consistent in at least the two cases I see here. Let us know how the shrimp do.

Another thing to note is the timing: with Christmas shipping snarls, the post office screws up everything. I was supposed to receive some Endlers from AdrianHD last Thursday. That became Friday, then Saturday... then I finally received them on Monday. Total wipe, save for one tenacious female, despite some great packaging. In this case, the lack of communication just compounded the pressure on the seller.

I would avoid this seller.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode