Commercial food for assassin snails? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Commercial food for assassin snails?

I'm raining a small tank of assassin snails and wanted to know what to feed them besides other snails? I tried a vacation feeder block for bettas but they ignored it and it fouled the water. I tried freeze dried tubifex worms and they weren't interested. Any sinking food pellets work?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)
5 blend pellets from kensfish might work, its sinking and has good protein. I still have pond snails so no need to feed the snails yet. Maybe ask petstore for their pest snails?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hikari Sinking waffers for catfish or there carnivore blend are what I would try. If you email Hikari and ask for samples they will send a small sample pack. I did this for the catfish and algae waffers and it was pretty nice to get to try them before you buy them. The only problem is once your fish try hikari they won't eat any other waffers unless they are starving. I guess thats why hikari is ok with giving away some samples.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Explorer

PTrader: (12/100%)
Have you tried frozen bloodworms? My assassins love them or any other protein-laden food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Thanks. I emailed hikari about samples. Ill also try frozen blood worms this weekend as long as the wife doesn't notice them in the freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Any frozen worms, will work, also sinking foods like shrimp pellets, or even flake food will work. Mine also snack on algae wafers if they're high enough in protein. Anything that has enough protein will be consumed.
For the best breeding though, I found lives snails are the best. Toss a few in and the next few days you'll be seeing eggs.

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I started with 10 assassins in a 100 gallon planted discus tank about one year ago. It took 6 months, but all pond snails were eradicated. My snails breed continuously and get fed what the Discus get - high quality flake food for meat lovers (Ken's Fish) and frozen bloodworms. There have to be well over one hundred in there now. Good luck.
Richard
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I got a sample of Ken's fish 5 stick blend and there are some earthworm pellets in it. They love them as far as i can tell. Frozen Bloodworms or shrimp pellets also and high protein food. I only put a little in the tank at a time because my Giant betta will try to eat what he can and get bloated.

Ken's Fish 5 stick blend is probably the absolute best sinking food I have ever seen my fish, cories, snails, african dwarf frogs and ottos react to. I drop a few in the tanks and watch, it almost causes a riot between them all trying to get to it. Watching the ghost shrimp in the tank fight all the other critters off is hilarious. I won't however put it in a shrimp only tank, it turns very soft and I am pretty sure it will cause issues in the substrate because pieces of it float up and around the water very quickly with fish in the tank it shouldn't be an issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode