Will my CRS be alright in a temporary container? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Will my CRS be alright in a temporary container?

Hello all.
Currently my shrimp tank is going through a mini-cycle and the ammonia is spiking pretty bad. I figured it would be best to pull my crystal reds out until the tank balances itself out again.

For now, I put them in a small container filled with RO water (remineralized with Mosura Mineral Plus to 6GH, 0KH, 150 TDS, PH 6.5ish), a mat of java moss, and a small baggie filled with a very tiny amount of activated charcoal/zeolite. The container is being aerated by an air stone and I have a small fan blowing over the surface of the water to keep temps down.

Provided I monitor ammonia levels and do water changes as necessary, will my shrimp be alright for a week or two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
As long as you provide enough stuff for the to graze on they should be fine. Try to put as much moss in there as possible. You should do this because the temp container you are using doesn't have any biofilm for them so you have to provide it in another way. That being adding lots of moss. Also be sure to slowly acclimatize them to the new container.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the feedback bostoneric.
The entire bottom of the container is lined with moss, so I think I should be alright in that department. I chose not to acclimate because I wanted to avoid contaminating the water with ammonia. Not ideal I know, but so far they seem to be okay. *crosses fingers*

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode