Measuring GH by using TDS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Measuring GH by using TDS?

My gH liquid API test is a little old and I'm getting wonky results. I'm trying to figure out if it is my testing or my remineralizer that has changed. I measure 8 when I use the drops. This is pure RO water with only my gH booster added to it (Salty Shrimp brand) and I am getting a tds of 156. I can't find a conversion chart anywhere, just ranges.

Can I use my TDS reading to tell my gH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
not really. gh is just one thing that makes up TDS (told dissolved solids). tds is a combo of the hardness and all the stuff in your water from decaying plant mater and animal wast.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure SS will increase your TDS 20 ppm for each degree of gh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Well each degree of hardness is 17.85 ppm. While testing with a tds pen will give you an approximate gh, it won't be specific because no gh booster adds pure gh. There is various levels of additives. Salty's has been known to be one of the more clean boosters so one would expect tds of around 20 per gh. You will have to test the tds and use an gh tester in order to get the exact tds/gh ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (33/100%)
Most TDS meters really just measure conductivity, the amount of ions (charged particles) in solution. This isn't really TDS at all, but based on some generic assumptions, the conductivity number is converted into something approximating TDS, but it is all based entirely on measuring conductivity. Presumably your GH booster contains calcium and magnesium, which should raise both the GH and conductivity directly and linearly. If all else stays the same, you can add GH booster until you get the desired GH (using a non-expired GH kit), measure the conductivity (with your TDS meter) at that GH, and just use conductivity as your metric from there on out. If the concentration of the GH booster is constant from bottle to bottle, you shouldn't even have to do that; the amount of GH booster you have to add to your RO water to achieve a given GH should be about the same each time. Of course, as your RO membrane ages, the conductivity of your product water will gradually rise (possibly from Ca and Mg, but possibly also from Na, Fe, etc. which do not contribute to GH), but you should be monitoring that (via conductivity) independently anyway.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you're using inert substrate, a clean remineralizer. (Salty is most reasonably priced, but Shirakura is the cleanest) You can test your GH roughly based on your TDS.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Based on my GH test I was seeing about 15-20TDS per 1GH when using Salty Shrimp GH+. I was mixing it in a big drum with 100% RO water so there wasn't anything other than Salty Shrimp GH+ in the water.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 PM
h4n
Banned

PTrader: (713/100%)
Location: h4n is banned for repeatedly scamming our members & sales system
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
Based on my GH test I was seeing about 15-20TDS per 1GH when using Salty Shrimp GH+. I was mixing it in a big drum with 100% RO water so there wasn't anything other than Salty Shrimp GH+ in the water.
same here!

h4n is banned for repeatedly scamming our members & sales system
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
+1 to 15-20 TDS per 1 GH via SS

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
hey Im going to piggy back on this as a new cherry shrimp keeper/breeder

for my long term planted tank which was just guppies for 12 yrs before being a shrimp tank, all i did for the water when i did bother to change it was take a five gallon bottle of ro di, fill it up 80%, then fill the other 20% up with dechlor tap which from my area is a butt load of calcium and magnesium salts. ph about 8.0 out of the tap.

so I never tested any params for this tank, they are berrying up purchased not berried and no deaths after a month, think this semi soft general guess water chemistry is ok? long term...

its not causing cholorosis in the plants or snails aren't having chipped shells, they gettin calcium from somewhere imo. im judging shrimp shell integrity off the snails that have been in there a decade, Im thinking no dissolution means there are some ions for the taking. how dang specific do I have to be with gh kh on fw cherry shrimp for true long term health and viability. guppies are removed its shrimp only now, dedicated baby tank. 12 yr biofilm before entry they are real happy lol temp is 68 constant from oct-march and about 75 the other months. my plan is cherries only for now not really crs

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
If your shrimp are breeding and happy I wouldn't bother messing with it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
different gh boosters will raise TDS at varying degrees. It may be passable if you are sticking with one brand and know the expected TDS at the desired gh level...

However, performing a GH test is best.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 on ~20 ppm per dGH when using SS and RO, it holds true for almost everyone using SS that I know of.

I don't test GH in the new water for WC anymore, I just measure TDS 90-95 and use it. And the TDS in my tank maintains at around 100-110 steady. (GH is 5-6).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode