Removing shrimp from Moss - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Removing shrimp from Moss

Hello, looking to remove shrimp from a tank that is basically full of moss..I would like to put half of the moss in another tank but want all the cherry neos out of the moss somehow..looking to put different neos in the new tank but do not want any cross breeding from the cherries..Is there any tricks to try to trap the cherries??? any help would greatly be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

I personally try to shake out as much as I can. I then transfer the moss to the new tank. I then with a net grab them out before they are old enough to breed, but big enough to catch easily.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you can get the water down so you have nice high sides, then I find that removing the moss very slowly out of the water, giving the shrimp time to disengage and jump out removes them ... Just take your time, do it manually and double check each handful of moss then give it a few weeks in new tank and remove any emergent cherries.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've found it helps to do a mid-transfer pause in a tall clear vase or container--holding the moss at the top I use a bamboo skewer (tongs, etc) to give it a good poking to knock the littlest shrimp loose/scare them out. They fall out of the way, moss gets pulled out, little shrimp get poured back into the tank--or in with the GBR as a snack.

Won't guarantee you completely clean moss, especially with thick clumps, but with small enough batches of fairly loose moss you can get pretty darn close.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Greatly appreciate the replies..Ill have to take a picture of actually 2 tanks FUll of moss and I mean full of moss..sorry now that I let the moss grow this full..I have on my "Shrimp Central system" I have designed with 6 20 gal high tanks and a 40 gallon breeder sump....Which has the capacity for 3 more 20 gallon high tanks to be added..which Im trying to do now..I only have two tanks with shrimp in them now chocolate/blue neos but getting more shrimp (yellow/pumpkin neos) in the very near future..That is why I have been trying to devise a method to catch these cherries and blues before moving moss to the new 3 tanks which are going to be added to the system..Plus trying to eliminate any cross breeding with the new neos coming....I have to move my CRS/CBS and mischlings to system too..Then I will see how my shrimp catching sump works out finally (fingers crossed)...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I have moved moss many times and no matter how much I shake it I end up with hitchhikers that I have to pull out later.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I figured that was the end result..I guess persistance is the only way to get them in the end..Then again they probably win anyway..I know Im not going to get them all out, but I cant starve them ,then try to bait and trap them ..In a full tank of moss they have probably enough to scavange off the moss but going to try it anyway...Should of started to split the moss a while ago..
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
I have moved moss many times and no matter how much I shake it I end up with hitchhikers that I have to pull out later.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode