snails vs. ottos who's Better? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
snails vs. ottos who's Better?

Hey yall
I'm wondering if snails (say 2 mystery) give off a smaller bio load than 2 ottos and which is more affective at cleaning? I would believe ottos are more effective cleaners but create more waste than mystery snails but after the snails multiple like crazy it would be just the oppisite right? I don't know which to get for my 55 I'm stuck so all help is appreciated
Thanks, Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Algae Grower

I had 5 ottos and 10 nerites in my 50 bow front and never had issues. They were the perfect cleaning crew. only issue some people have with nerites in the eggs they can quickly cover a tank and are a bit difficult to clean off. I had a piece of drift wood that they loved laying on so they mostly kept to that with minimal egg laying on my glass or other objects in my tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Mystery snails create massive amounts of waste. My snail tank that has mysteries only in it is a 40 breeder. I have to do weekly water changes of 50% to keep nitrates below 80ppm. :\
I'm working on another 40B so I can split the bioload up.

I have 2 ottos in a 5.5 cherry tank and only change the water once per month, a 30% change. I can never detect above 10ppm nitrate in that tank

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
how about amano shrimp?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Otos have a much small bioload than mystery snails. But mystery snails do not reproduce like crazy either. The female has to lay the eggs above the water line so if you fill up your tank up enough they won't lay eggs. Or if they do, all you have to do is toss the egg cluster into the tank so the calcium can be reabsorbed. The eggs will not develop under water. Otos will eat algae and vegetable matter. Mystery snail are omnivores and will eat everything but not live plants. But for a 55 gal tank you need many more otos than 2, they are social animals and need company of their own kind. Mystery snails don't care if they are alone in a tank, however, neither 2 mystery snails nor 2 otos will most likely make a dent into the algae in a tank your size. So you could get 5 otos and 3 mystery snails and get the best of both worlds.
BTW what other critters do you have in the tank?

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
They eat different things. I say why not have both? Either way, its win win. Unless u hate those damn eggs.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for awnsering everyone, sorry I haven't been here I've been stressing for my final exams. So I was leaning more toward ottos before and was thinking of getting like 5 or 6 (was just using two as an example) and then I started reading about Amano shrimp and Nertrite snails being great cleaners and thought what about these two combine instead?
But I have bosmani and turquise rainbows and Roseline sharks and I would be afraid that the amano shrimp would get ate, though they do get bigger, but start out small. Currently the fish are all about 3in so not huge and their mouths aren't that big either yet, so I'm unsure though Eventually they will be moved into a bigger home.
Thanks, Jake
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

Or you could your scrub the glass.

All the best your neighbor Josh
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My glass is perfectly clean I want my plants and substrate that can't be cleaned with ease cleaned. Like moss is crazy hard to get the little pieces of thread algea out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
My otos don't really eat algae that isn't on the glass. I leave the sides dirty just for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode